Vintage Gretsch Guitars

60s 6120DC | MAYbe a refin?

Gosh, do ya THINK?

https://reverb.com/item/146...

Based on the content of many listings, this seller is reliably annoying in descriptions and proud of his optimistic pricing.

So I’m not inclined to believe this left the factory as a 2-color burst.

But despite how UNGretshcy the resulting appearance, it’s not entirely ugly. I’m a little surprised we don’t see more such fade-to-red partial re-fins.

Or COULD it be original?

Weird one. The fake f-holes are all wrong, Baldwin era knobs, neck binding falling apart, bridge looks bottomed out so questionale neck-angle?

A refinish -- absolutely. That's the reason the serial number on the back of the headstock is missing. Having the plaque on the headstock and the designation of "Nashville" on the pickguard tells you the guitar is post-1967/68 and the knobs tell you it could be as late as 1971/72

Look at the face of the headstock again…right next to the nut. Missing binding with a filler…. either it was a break or it had a locking nut on it at one point.

Wouldn't the walnut stripe in the neck laminate usually continue up through the headstock as well?

Look at the face of the headstock again…right next to the nut. Missing binding with a filler…. either it was a break or it had a locking nut on it at one point.

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

I couldn't figure out what I was looking at there, then realized that the fingerboard was chopped at the zero fret and the nut moved up.

" Based on the content of many listings, this seller is reliably annoying in descriptions and proud of his optimistic pricing "

I have had a number of transactions over at least a decade with this person on both auction sites, "Reliably Annoying" is apt, from both a Buyer's and a Seller's perspective. Buyer Beware

Is it me, or is that left f-hole painted on rather poorly, crooked and way too far to the left?

Is it me, or is that left f-hole painted on rather poorly, crooked and way too far to the left?

– Limuz

Yes!

Register Sign in to join the conversation