Vintage Gretsch Guitars

60 Gent in western orange at Lark St.

Thanks for the link. They have some nice guitars. I enjoyed the window shopping.

Interesting custom finish Gent! The #351xx batch of (100) Gents was quite eventful. I've documented 25 examples from this group, and within that sample size there are a high percentage of lovely flame-top examples, and two separate Lefty specimens. Now this custom color example has surfaced from the same group. Stephen Stills owned one from this group, and another has been associated with Hank Marvin. Several GDPer's are lucky enough to have (or had) one. The '60 Gent that produced the original Hot Rod Lincoln recording is also from this batch, and another resides in the Bachman-Gretsch collection at the moment. I can't wait for more to show up!

"Original white case"? Never heard of a gent-sized cowboy case. I wonder what that's about?

I’ve seen one white western 17” case, pretty rare.

cool

buzzy gets some the best guitars

Ed--great info on this batch. Your research is amazing,

Interesting custom finish Gent! The #351xx batch of (100) Gents was quite eventful. I've documented 25 examples from this group, and within that sample size there are a high percentage of lovely flame-top examples, and two separate Lefty specimens. Now this custom color example has surfaced from the same group. Stephen Stills owned one from this group, and another has been associated with Hank Marvin. Several GDPer's are lucky enough to have (or had) one. The '60 Gent that produced the original Hot Rod Lincoln recording is also from this batch, and another resides in the Bachman-Gretsch collection at the moment. I can't wait for more to show up!

– kc_eddie_b

Ed, do you happen to have a pic of the Stills Gent?

Is it safe to assume that this batch had the long scale length neck with wider neck at the nut?

Thanks

Stills shared the specs on his Gent (and other guitars) in the January 1976 Guitar Player mag article. I don't have good photo... but this must be it.

Thanks for the info, Ed. Didn't realize my Gent was from such an eventful batch.

I'd be curious to know what folks (especially our luthiers/repairmen like Curt) think of this headstock repair. Seems like an unusual technique was used here, unless there was something unusual about the way it broke...?

Wow, what a cool guitar.

Ditto what Fred said — fantastic research Ed!

Stills shared the specs on his Gent (and other guitars) in the January 1976 Guitar Player mag article. I don't have good photo... but this must be it.

– kc_eddie_b

Thanks Ed. Brings back some good memories.

He did some nice work with the Gent. (looks like he has another Gent in the background with his Falcon too)

Am I the only person that's seeing that as possibly very faded brown rather than orange? Maybe it's just my screen and it's certainly light, but it looks browner than your typical Gretsch Orange.

Part of why I say that is the guy who showed up a few years ago with a verified custom orange 1960 6122 with open F-holes. There was no mistaking the color on that one.

That’s what I thought at first, my 57 has faded quite a bit, but this one seems very even in color?

I agree that the color looks pretty even. Very nice.

Part of why I say that is the guy who showed up a few years ago with a verified custom orange 1960 6122 with open F-holes. There was no mistaking the color on that one.

– Afire

This is interesting. I was thinking that that guitar had a more opaque finish (and yes, it was very orange!). I just looked at the photos I saved, which unfortunately weren't very hi-res. I can't really make out any grain showing through on its top. Also, it appears in the side view that the sides (back wasn't shown) are a bit more brownish-orange, like the neck. Anyway, you guys have forgotten more about Gretsch guitars than I'll probably ever know, so I'm curious as to how specific a term "Western Orange" is. That custom guitar's top seemed to be a different finish than what I'm accustomed to seeing on "orange" Gretsches (6120's, etc).

The color/finish of 6120 guitars varied through the years. The original mid-late 50s models were clearly a "stain" showing lots of grain through the color. Into the electrotone era the finish seems to go through periods of opacity. It's hard to be definitive on all this because some guitars have faded differently than others over 50-60 years. But it's well documented that some 6120 batches in the '57 model year have a more ruddy red hue (still transparent... or at least translucent), so that suggests that variability in the actual color could occur as well as the opacity. I'd assume that each batch of stain and/or paint was hand mixed in the Brooklyn factory, so the precision we can get today with auto-mixers, delivering exacting color recipes is probably far superior to what they were doing in 1960.

Maybe Curt can school us (pun intended) on the processes of mixing stains and what variables may have affected the outcome over a period of years and guitar batches?

Ed, do you happen to have a pic of the Stills Gent?

Is it safe to assume that this batch had the long scale length neck with wider neck at the nut?

Thanks

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

I think only the first ten CGs ever made had this spec. Even the "first batch" Gent I once owned (around #25 or so) was the regular short scale. I don't know of any later ones that brought this back... correct me if I'm wrong!

Am I the only person that's seeing that as possibly very faded brown rather than orange? Maybe it's just my screen and it's certainly light, but it looks browner than your typical Gretsch Orange.

– Afire

Was just taking another look, and realized I hadn't mentioned how the fading seems kind of uneven on both the top and back. Not sure how unusual this is.

I'm also still curious about the head repair. Not sure I've seen many dowels used in this type of repair (although I've looked at more Gibsons in this respect, and many of them have had a black or very dark stain hiding the repair area).

– kc_eddie_b

He had two single cut Gents. I saw them in 1971. The other one was Tennessean Red with white outlined "F" holes!

Most likely he had a 3rd. He'd go around looking for old Gretsches back then.. It was an obession for him.. of course in 1970 he spent $30k on Cocaine too.. He looks so Coke'd out on on that clip..

Just FYI... Lark Street price has been reduced by $1K (already!?).

Did 1960 Gents have aluminum (silver) Bigsbys or is this a change? I would have thought that by 1960 it would be gold. That doesn't look like it was ever gold.

Register Sign in to join the conversation