Vintage Gretsch Guitars

58/9 (?) FilterTrons PSA

It looks fine to me. In 1960 they had the PAF with pin connectors so no problem there.
The wiring under the pick up lost the isolation but you can just tape that up.
They do look very shiny though. Mostly the gold is worn off more.

Interesting to me that the seller has three of these to sell. Maybe they came off a rare 1959 3-pickup prototype model. That would make them worth millions!

Interesting to me that the seller has three of these to sell. Maybe they came off a rare 1959 3-pickup prototype model. That would make them worth millions!

– kc_eddie_b

The way I'm reading it, he only has two.

Three were originally listed, as I tagged each for "watching"... perhaps a duplication?

They look correct to me! I've got a few early FT's and they look like these. I've been dealing with Gretsch & Gibson pickups for 45+ years and have seen a few hundred of each.

That seller has got some heavy stuff listed for sale. That said, he’s got the Bigsby bridge incorrectly described, so might be one of THOSE sellers?

Duke Kramer used to sell all of the stuff to make your own Filters, including coils that were already wound. But this looks perhaps legit. Or at least pretty close. 4.1-4.3K is just about right. Later coils were hotter.

That seller has got some heavy stuff listed for sale. That said, he’s got the Bigsby bridge incorrectly described, so might be one of THOSE sellers?

– JazzBoxJunky

Interesting stuff from an "interesting" seller. He's certainly got an idiosyncratic approach to pricing. Some things that certainly will bring good cash are listed at NR with a low opening bid, while others of less certain value have borderline absurdly high BIN prices. Maybe an odd duck, but there probably is a certain logic to that approach, as annoying as I may find it.

As far as these pickups go, maybe I'm missing something, and there are only two pictures shown (I'd be asking for shots off the innards if I were in the market), but I don't see any obvious tells that they aren't legit. Aside from the pole spacing mentioned by lx, the location of the mounting holes also says they aren't TV Jones or any modern FilterTron. On old ones the holes were closer to the edges like these. Probably no more than 1/16" if that, but it's noticeable. And the claim that they're NOS is obviously unverifiable, but in addition to the plating being unusually intact, the slots on the screw are also quite clean. If they are what they appear to be, then it seems they never saw much use.

Here's a wake-up call for all of us with authentic vintage Filtertrons stashed in our parts boxes... one of these NOS Filters sold for $510, and the other went north of $600. Wow!

I don't remember seeing a base plate with a trimmed ear until into the 60s.

In the mid 80s Duke sold aftermarket covers in your choice of plain, PAF, and pat numbers. Available in gold/chrome/non-plated.

Register Sign in to join the conversation