Vintage Gretsch Guitars

58 Chet Jet - Clean Machine

No Affiliation With Seller.

POS spacing, looks to have a two-piece back, and the cleanest li'l cowboy case with key!. All the right case candy with a document I've never seen before for what looks like a decent price. Also, look at the placement of the control knobs -- wasn't this one in the Scott book? Link isn't working. Go to reverb and check out the '58 6121 just posted.

Not showing up in manual searches either.

It's listed for $6750 + 140 shipping at Brian's Gear Bazaar in Montreal. I bet they just realized they made a big booboo and are upping the price to the usual five figures. I've still got the page open. Either that or somebody pounced. Posted about an hour ago.

29360 mixed batch of 6120's and 6121's. Earliest batch with Neo markers and sculpted (molded rings) although this has the clear lucite rings of a '58 with slot-head screws. PAF Filters. POS spacing with that odd control layout -- slave neck volume is close to the Phillips head Bigsby with stainless handle. Square cut Dyna Guard but for POS spacing. Banner in the case is torn on one side. Little bit of binding separation on the waist. Dan Duffy signed QC card, hang tag, Neo marker brochure and Filter brochure. And a blue Gretsch Quality Control Department Packing List checked off with all the Chet models and the Rancher -- Elect. cord, Cleaning cloth, Guarantee, Guarantee card, Strap attatchements. Signed 118 at the bottom.

Yeah that pickup spacing would bug me too, looks clean though. I tend to think these were Penguin bodies that they were using up, a lot of those had that spacing, and funky mixture of control plates on the back.

It's the one that would complete my collection... but the guitar fund is dry.

Sorry, what is POS spacing?

Oh yeah! I forgot about that. Thanks!

POS is a stage hand term and has quite a different meaning to me.

POS is a stage hand term and has quite a different meaning to me.

– wabash slim

Means the same here in Oz, too!

Well, both meanings might apply in this case too. I've never played a POS Gretsch, but on guitars I have had with the "lead" pickup half this far from the bridge, the loss of brightness was more than I could handle.

Thanks for the link, man that's pretty nice, pickup spacing aside.

How would those that have played vintage and current 6121's compare the necks, and this with zero-fret necks.

Is that a metal nut, or weird colour?

It's a metal nut which was a Chet spec. This isn't the same as the one in the Scott book (p.161 for you geeks) as that has a Dyna cut pg, no zero fret with a plastic nut, as well as being retrofitted with a v-cut Bigsby. But it is identified as a '58 and has the POS spacing and the odd knob placement

Never much cared for the POS pickup spacing. It doesn't seem logical to me as it would appear that both pickups would sound nearly the same. the wider spacing between the two pickups gives one the extended Freq. range..

It's a metal nut which was a Chet spec. This isn't the same as the one in the Scott book (p.161 for you geeks) as that has a Dyna cut pg, no zero fret with a plastic nut, as well as being retrofitted with a v-cut Bigsby. But it is identified as a '58 and has the POS spacing and the odd knob placement

– lx

I've identified a number of these POS spacing 6121 specimens from this batch. I've encountered at least 4 of them. One can only speculate that Gretsch intended to produce actual stereo wired Jets (we've seen a Penguin or two), but then decided not to. None of the POS spacing 6121's I've documented are actually wired for stereo.

I might guess that they were trying to use up the pre-routed bodies intended for Penguins, the only other Jet model with double-bound edges. Perhaps when Penguin orders/sales were so soft, they punted and used the bodies as Chet Atkins 6121 examples. I can't imagine they went into it thinking they would apply the POS to a Chet Atkins model... or else we would have come across a '58 POS 6120 or two over the years.

We'll never know for sure how/why these POS spaced Filtertron 6121's were produced, but it's another wonderfully wacky anomaly in the Gretsch legacy!

Now THAT is a thing of Beauty

The fretboard is almost 23 frets long and the 16th fret seems to be a little closer to the body than most, or is that the angle?

I've identified a number of these POS spacing 6121 specimens from this batch. I've encountered at least 4 of them. One can only speculate that Gretsch intended to produce actual stereo wired Jets (we've seen a Penguin or two), but then decided not to. None of the POS spacing 6121's I've documented are actually wired for stereo.

I might guess that they were trying to use up the pre-routed bodies intended for Penguins, the only other Jet model with double-bound edges. Perhaps when Penguin orders/sales were so soft, they punted and used the bodies as Chet Atkins 6121 examples. I can't imagine they went into it thinking they would apply the POS to a Chet Atkins model... or else we would have come across a '58 POS 6120 or two over the years.

We'll never know for sure how/why these POS spaced Filtertron 6121's were produced, but it's another wonderfully wacky anomaly in the Gretsch legacy!

– kc_eddie_b

The Penguin theory makes sense to me; this Chet jet seems to have a two (or three) piece back which would have been covered by the white lacquer.

Should the serial number be engraved on the rear plate as a Jet?

Should the serial number be engraved on the rear plate as a Jet?

– Roar

Yes... all Jets have that feature.

Yes... all Jets have that feature.

– kc_eddie_b

Thanks !

Register Sign in to join the conversation