Vintage Gretsch Guitars

58’ 6121 — has this one been reveiwed by our consortium?

Wow. Pretty darn clean example... Crooked Bigsby and screwy intonation (current position of bar bridge) not withstanding. But is it really an 8-grand guitar? I know it's supposed to be a '58, but does the value hold up against 6120's of the same era? I'm asking, not trying to be flippant.

It has the same staining on the lower bout as the one Cream City had on EBay/reverb recently (also for $7999).

I need a '58 6121 to complete my collection, but in my experience the Filtertron based model years don't command what the earlier years do, and $8k is way high.

I could see $8k if it was really clean AND had normal pickup spacing. But in this condition, and with POS pickup spacing, no thanks. Frankly, I think POS pickup spacing would be a deal breaker for me at any price.

Yeah that pickup spacing was the first thing that jumped out at me. No thanks!

That's Project-O-Sonic stereo pickup spacing. Who knows for certain, but it looks like some Penguin and Falcon bodies were routed for stereo configurations, but ended up being used as standard 6121 and Country Club production (or in the case of Clubs, they could have been intended as stereo Clubs from the beginning).

these 58' 6121's with POS spacing are double bound correct? weren't they thought to be leftover penguins ?

It begs the question, why is that spacing better for stereo?

I keep having to remind myself what POS means,when used here.

– JazzBoxJunky

That's the question. They must have done it for a reason. Wasn't the first stereo Chet's sealed top -- with normal spacing? Gretsch (Webster?) must have thought the difference between bass/neck and treble/bridge was too great. Has anybody A/B'd these against normally spaced versions? The modern stereo Chets are probably set up by TVJones to work properly...

I keep having to remind myself what POS means,when used here.

– Suprdave

Project O sonic--stereo option from the late 50's.

– JazzBoxJunky

My guess is that they found the difference in tone between treble and bass strings too drastic with standard pickup placement. I can't think of any other reason this makes sense.

these 58' 6121's with POS spacing are double bound correct? weren't they thought to be leftover penguins ?

– Gasmoney

Ed speculated a while back that this was probably the case. Webster made a big deal about the POS and no doubt thought they would fly off the shelves. A lot of pre-cut bodies to justify his claims -- which then had to be re-purposed for standard models. IIRC Webster also shoved the string mutes into the Gent and 6120 -- without consulting Chet. Apparently this was normal behavior for the suits: Deed mentioned recently that Guild just switched pickups on Duane without telling him.

Register Sign in to join the conversation