Vintage Gretsch Guitars

58 6120 FS. What’s your opinion on its value without the original…

Well, then, maybe ...

Our Vancouverites are near enough to go look-seee....

Calling Ed here.

– Windsordave

Yes Ed, I'm wondering on your take on this vintage '58 with all nickel plating vs the same guitar with all gold....which would be likely faded to some extent by now. What percent difference in value would be your guesstimate? Would it be considerable. I'm curious on the thinking on this subject.

At least it gives you some data to add to your bank, assuming this guitar isn't in there already.

Yes Ed, I'm wondering on your take on this vintage '58 with all nickel plating vs the same guitar with all gold....which would be likely faded to some extent by now. What percent difference in value would be your guesstimate? Would it be considerable. I'm curious on the thinking on this subject.

At least it gives you some data to add to your bank, assuming this guitar isn't in there already.

– Windsordave

The value question teeters on... if the nickel pickups are factory or not. If they are not, even if they are vintage, then the collectors value could be affected. I've seen other (2 or 3) 50s 6120's with all nickel hardware. What's incongruent on this one is the residual gold on the control knobs. I might want to see the underside of the tuners to see if there's any gold under there.

So all gold plated hardware is good for value. All nickel hardware, is probably a little less valued by collectors in the same way that custom colored 6120s are often less attractive. Collectors typically covet the "classic" features of this model, so variances from that, even if they are factory executed can limit the demand. The greatest evil however (IMHO) is a mixed scenario, with gold and nickel components on the same guitar. That could be a tough sell. (Of course the Bigsby is immune to that issue, because the plain aluminum finish IS part of the classic feature package).

Thanks Ed. This has got me curious enough to go see this guitar. Interested parties will want to know.

What's incongruent on this one is the residual gold on the control knobs.

Hmm... I was under the impression that the dealer had stated (though he didn't take the opportunity to address this subject in his post above) that there was no gold on any of the hardware.

And just in case anyone else was slightly confused by them, the photos posted by RCgold were of his own guitar, and not the one that the discussion is centered around.

Fwiw...

Hmm... I was under the impression that the dealer had stated (though he didn't take the opportunity to address this subject in his post above) that there was no gold on any of the hardware.

And just in case anyone else was slightly confused by them, the photos posted by RCgold were of his own guitar, and not the one that the discussion is centered around.

Fwiw...

– JimR56

Thank you, didn't mean to cause confusion. For reference, mine is original except for the tuners and pickguard.

Fwiw...

– JimR56

Ok... I'm confused. Feel free to ignore my previous post.

He told me there is no gold on this guitar. I'll verify that if I get the chance to visit his store this coming week.

I think all of us may be confused to some degree here. And Ed, ignoring your posts is never a good plan!

I apologise to everyone, next time I post I will be much more careful! I only wanted to post that an original, factory 6120 could come with gold knobs and toggles with gold pickup surrounds and zero gold on the pickups OR bridge. I also had no idea that said arrangement would lower the value?

Hey RC, I didn't mean to suggest that all of the confusion stemmed from your posts. It was nice of you to share your pics.

Even without your input, I was somewhat puzzled about whether there was any gold on the guitar in the OP, and if not, whether it had been removed.

Register Sign in to join the conversation