Vintage Gretsch Guitars

58 6120 FS. What’s your opinion on its value without the original…

This guitar is for sale locally but I have no interest in buying it at any price. IMO the asking price, even in Cdn funds is greatly optimistic.

An original bridge could be found but I believe the total removing of all traces of gold from all the hardware removes it from the "all original" condition and impacts the value, even when a corrected value is established for this guitar if it had the remnants of gold remaining as is normally the condition for a guitar of this age.. In other words, what is your opinion of how much value is lost by the gold removal?

https://vancouver.craigslis...

Converted to USD, it's not totally out of line with dealer prices...assuming it's 100% original and super clean. But as far as I can tell, this isn't a reputable dealer (which means nothing to me, but I can't deny that being in the business holds value for many buyers), and it's unclear to me just how clean or original this guitar is.

We've seen some pretty nice early 6120's move through here that sold for under 10K. This one appears legit for the S/N features, save for the bridge which he does mention. Ed would be the one to know for sure. Oddly there's no mention of a case which is a detraction for me for a sale of an early iconic guitar.

For sake of argument and awaiting further input, let's say this guitar still had the gold but it's just worn off from playing and age. Give it an arbitrary value of $12K. Now, how much would you knock off for having the gold purposely removed? $1K, 2K.....?

Edit: looked again at the ad and saw the white case....duh!

How do we know it’s been stripped of its gold? I don’t see that mentioned in the list, but I may have missed it.

If the gold HAS been purposely stripped, I think the value is about half the asking price - something like $7-8K US.

Just nosing around other examples, and seeing plenty with plain knobs, pickup covers, tuners and bigsby - like this one at Carters Link .What parts do you believe have been stripped? 15k US is optimistic to say the least, but that finish and binding look quite pristine to me. Worth a bit of a premium if not quite that much.

Looking at the pictures all of the hardware simply appears to be nickel. Not stripped of its gold. Either swapped or ordered that way.

The tuners are nickel. Pickup covers are hard to determine. They should be unmarked. I can see if they have any writing. If they are plain top nickel then that matches the tuners.

Price is double of real market.

Good looking 6120.

Price is way too high; there is a gorgeous smoke orange '57 on reverb for less than $7K. That said this looks very clean and it appears to have the cowboy case. Looks to be PAF 'trons. Hard to tell from pix if the gold has worn away, or if it came in nickel as Gasmoney says.

Picture #3 you can see the word "for" on the cover-- which makes these PAF covers. A little early for this one.

But my guess is this came with all nickel hardware. You can see the cowboy case in another photo as well.

Looking at the pictures all of the hardware simply appears to be nickel. Not stripped of its gold. Either swapped or ordered that way.

My thoughts exactly. The guitar is local to Dave so he may have more info than what is on the listing, but for me it just looks like nickel or chrome hardware - either swapped out at some point or ordered that way from new. I just can't see someone going to the trouble of stripping all the gold off, especially the tuners.

If it's a custom order with silver hardware that does technically make it all-original, but I'd say still lower value than if the hardware were gold.

Well, mine is a little earlier than this one, the pickups are silver as is the tailpiece. The knobs have some gold and the pickup surrounds are gold. Could that have been the standard in 58? As for the original case, I do have it BUT in is more duct tape than anything else (been rode hard and put up wet!) Had it looked at by Doug at Mojo Music in Bellingham for ins and he priced it 6 several years ago.

Interesting discussion. I'm with lx in the "hard to tell" camp, but some of you folks know a lot more about Gretsch guitars than I do.

I think photo #6 is the most perplexing. It sure looks to me like there's gold on the sides of those knobs in that shot. Photos can be deceiving, though...

I'm leaning toward nickel because buffed gold has a pearly look (my favorite) and the metal on this one is sooo shiny.

Just spoke with the contact at the store and yes it comes with the original cowboy case. I asked if it was a one owner and says he believes so as the fellow appears to be in his early '70's. I asked about the gold and he says there isn't any, it's all chrome/nickel and he says there's one on Reverb that's similar in that respect.

He reports the neck is super solid, the binding pristine and no buckle rash on the back. I didn't discuss the price with him but he said it's a local pickup only sale. It does appear to be a genuine '58 with all the correct features, save for the bridge. He said the owner is trying to find the original bridge. '58's according Ed's book have a variety of different features within that year, depending on the batch #. I went over them before posting to see if anything was amiss and all appears kosher.

So, we can assume this guitar came with all nickel plating for the hardware. It does deserve a bit of a premium for being in excellent shape, so what say you all as to what price you'd put on it for today's market?

For what it's worth here are a couple pictures of original knobs, as you can see 60 years of use has left only the gold showing in the deepest areas. Must have been a very thin coating?

Sorry, got one twice (grin)

Now that it appears to be established that the hardware hasn't been stripped of its gold (and it's unclear to me why you assumed that, Dave), it might make sense to edit the first post to make the title of the thread more representative of what it's really about.

Some guys might not be interested in discussing a hypothetical with stripped hardware - but would appreciate the word on what seems a nice original 6120.

As for actually stripping gold hardware, I've done that on two early 00s Korean guitars whose plating was much worse than even the low standards we expect for gold. They looked bad bad bad. After stripping to bare nickel (or some silver metal), the guitars look much better. I don't think I decreased the value of those particular guitars, but then their value is a rounding error on a vintage Gretsch anyway.

Hi All,

Michael from Tapestry Music here...

We are consigning this instrument for a customer here in White Rock, BC. Please let me know if you have any questions or offers that I can pass on to the owner.

Now that it appears to be established that the hardware hasn't been stripped of its gold (and it's unclear to me why you assumed that, Dave), it might make sense to edit the first post to make the title of the thread more representative of what it's really about.

Some guys might not be interested in discussing a hypothetical with stripped hardware - but would appreciate the word on what seems a nice original 6120.

As for actually stripping gold hardware, I've done that on two early 00s Korean guitars whose plating was much worse than even the low standards we expect for gold. They looked bad bad bad. After stripping to bare nickel (or some silver metal), the guitars look much better. I don't think I decreased the value of those particular guitars, but then their value is a rounding error on a vintage Gretsch anyway.

– Proteus

Good idea Tim, I just edited the title.

Y'all have got to watch the video of the one on Carter's website. J.D. Simo is flat wearing it out.

It would be nice for things to settle a bit...

Let's reach a consensus.

Let's reach a consensus.

... while acknowledging that our consensus has no real bearing on whether the hardware on the guitar was stripped of its gold or shipped as nickel - nor on the final value of the guitar, which will be determined by a willing buyer negotiating with the dealer...

Register Sign in to join the conversation