Vintage Gretsch Guitars

57/8 Caddy Club w/Strange Stereo Filtertrons

NFI.

Unfortunately, this 6196 #26199 was "re-wired" for mono use, but the strange white bobbin Filtertrons with unusual pole-piece configuration are no doubt original.

The label also reads "projecto-sonic SPC". There is also a word/notation on the Dan Duffy signed ok card which might read "cleanness"(?) Perhaps this was an early and as yet undocumented iteration as it has standard Filtertron spacing and a Melita. Too bad about the binding rot.

Shame about the extreme binding rot. I see from the one straight on view of the fretboard that is guitar also suffers from the binding bulging outward at each fret end. As I've pointed out previously, Gretsch had an ass-backwards method of installing the frets back then - frets went on first and the binding next, hammering it onto the sharp extended fret ends. As the binding ages it hardens and splits at the fret ends though not seen in the one close up pic.

Lovely Caddy green finish and well worth the cost of a fine re-binding by someone of Curt's expertise. I suppose the asking price reflects the $1K price of the binding job, it appearing to be all original. Having that hang tag is a nice bonus too

Something is up with the wiring. There are knobs on the upper bout, rather than the original switches???????

First time I've seen binding rot actually attack the G-cut tailpiece.

NFI.

Unfortunately, this 6196 #26199 was "re-wired" for mono use, but the strange white bobbin Filtertrons with unusual pole-piece configuration are no doubt original.

The label also reads "projecto-sonic SPC". There is also a word/notation on the Dan Duffy signed ok card which might read "cleanness"(?) Perhaps this was an early and as yet undocumented iteration as it has standard Filtertron spacing and a Melita. Too bad about the binding rot.

– lx

Those Imperial dudes are some of the more hi-$ dealers out there... but still am mysterious piece here.

First time I've seen binding rot actually attack the G-cut tailpiece.

– kc_eddie_b

It's corrosive toxic stuff.

Country club 4 ply binding everywhere, headstock, neck and body is $1,500.00. It's a ridiculous amount of work and how about those funky pickups.

Those early Grover Imperials are the best on the planet.

Something is up with the wiring. There are knobs on the upper bout, rather than the original switches???????

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

It looks like the "stock" locations of the pickup selector switch and master volume control were reversed and the mud switch was replaced by a tone pot.

It looks like the "stock" locations of the pickup selector switch and master volume control were reversed and the mud switch was replaced by a tone pot.

– senojnad

Is a bit weird and can't imagine why someone thought it was a good idea or needed? I would think it's put back to original easily enough.

Frightening cost to rebind as reported by Curt!

seriously. though it'd be heroic, buying a guitar that needs that much work is like buying a house without a roof...you might be able to live there someday, but you'd better keep your precursor home.

Is a bit weird and can't imagine why someone thought it was a good idea or needed? I would think it's put back to original easily enough.

Frightening cost to rebind as reported by Curt!

– Windsordave

Yeah but you get a free T shirt...

I'm sure there are people working at home that can do it for a grand. I'll only do one 4 ply a year which will probably be going to zero soon. Too much finger and wrist stress, worse than doing income tax.

Register Sign in to join the conversation