Vintage Gretsch Guitars

57 Orange Corsair

NFI.

It's from the first batch of cutaway Corsairs and the orange on the spruce top looks mighty fine. It sure looks like a factory orange, but it's impossible to tell for sure. The price is nuts of course and it needs a neck set. Upper strap knob probably not original -- note the plastic peg below the tailpiece. Gretsch didn't mix and match those. But you never know with one-offs.

I'm not usually an orange guitar fan but that's a mighty handsome one.

In the same vein as my old Tennesseean colored Convertible, which I think had a plastic end pin, but no front strap button.

In the same vein as my old Tennesseean colored Convertible, which I think had a plastic end pin, but no front strap button.

– JazzBoxJunky

You had a big red convertible!! Now I'm envious. I love that red. That had to be a one off. Where is it now?? Is it your own creation? It has a DeArmond yet it has the neo classical thumbnail markers.

Yes, it was like that Corsair. Had 58 features in 57? Neck plug, Ebony board, see thru cherry finish with spruce top and figured back. Not solid woods, laminate, and check that factory black guard! Also had mini pots for the Dearmond. Cool guitar that setup and played great, but sounded crappy. Sold it to Guitar Center and tripled my money, and bought my 57 Gent!

Nice color for sure! However, the top and headstock are scuffed up, the pickguard has a dirty great hole right through the logo and especially given it needs a neck reset - $$$ - it's waaaaay overpriced. Remember too that it's the low end model.

Clearly a 1958 model year example... by the serial number and the neoclassic fretboard markers.

Yes, it was like that Corsair. Had 58 features in 57? Neck plug, Ebony board, see thru cherry finish with spruce top and figured back. Not solid woods, laminate, and check that factory black guard! Also had mini pots for the Dearmond. Cool guitar that setup and played great, but sounded crappy. Sold it to Guitar Center and tripled my money, and bought my 57 Gent!

– JazzBoxJunky

Clearly you neglected to put hilotron's on it...

Yeah, definitely not a hilo dude, but probably would have worked better than the DeArmond floater. I remember thinking a floating Filtertron might be the ticket for an L-5 kinda vibe.

A pair of 'somethings' would look nice......perhaps along with all the controls? Or a pair of floating DeArmonds. Would make a pretty jazz box with the lovely patina on that the [laminate] spruce top.

I think the whole floating DeArmand business was pretty well an afterthought and as such not ideal. Too heavy a pickup to mount on a guard like that in my opinion. Man I would've loved to have that guitar. That corsair is cool too. but that red. whew!

Register Sign in to join the conversation