Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Late 50’s Country Club vs Late 50’s Double Anniversary

I briefly had an early 1961 6120 that I had to sell to cover some home repairs and I miss it dearly. Unfortunately, spending 7-12K for a decent vintage 6120 is not in my foreseeable future. Looking for something from the same era (58-59-ish) to replace it, I've narrowed it down to a Country Club or a Double Anni. The DA is closer spec wise, but the CC's tend to be priced more affordablably. Would a trestle braced, Filter equipped CC scratch my vintage 6120 itch, or should I hold out/pay up for a late 50's Double Anniversary?

CCs have longer scale lengths, don't they?

– Jonathan A. Sipes......maker of aluminum dust.

they do yes. That's not a deal breaker though, I switch from a Hotrod to a Falcon in my set and really don't notice a difference in the scale length.

I don't find CC's to be cheaper than Annie's in most cases. There are also fewer of them. If you are cool with the scale length and wider body I feel the CC is better guitar, although '58/59 double Annie's are really nice too.

The Country Club is sold as ,and is considered to be a higher end model than the Anniversary. Though I love Anniversary's too. With the shorter scale length and the same body size the anniversary would feel more like the 6120. It should be significantly cheaper than a similar year Country Club. The Country club has fancier trim (bound fretboard etc etc), besides the longer scale it also has a bigger body.

Don't forget that '58's have the heavy trestle bracing and they are heavier than subsequent models -- about the same as a first generation Terada but with less acoustic response. I does love my '58 Streamliner tho'.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the late '50's Annies came in tobacco sunburst and the two tone smokey green whereas the CC came in the same sunburst, natural (laminated spruce sometimes) and the famous green finish. Did it also come in the two tone yellow bamboo/copper mist or ivory/lavender or other iterations? I ask as the colors to look for may weigh in in the decision of what model might appeal to you.

Don't forget that '58's have the heavy trestle bracing and they are heavier than subsequent models -- about the same as a first generation Terada but with less acoustic response. I does love my '58 Streamliner tho'.

– lx

With only one documented batch of 100 Country Clubs made for the 1958 model year (filters/trestles), these are pretty uncommon. Just ask Curt who's got one, and has been surfing for another for years.

There's a nice '58 natural Country Club on Reverb at the moment. Not that expensive.

There's a nice '58 natural Country Club on Reverb at the moment. Not that expensive.

– Hepkat67

Man... that IS a nice one! Decent price too... hey Curt, here ya go!

https://reverb.com/item/489...

– Hepkat67

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of going after. About 1K cheaper then a clean 58-59 Anniversary too.....but, these are heavy and not very resonant? Might not be the one for me as my old 6120 was very lively.

Help me out here. From this era, an Annie priced more than a CC? Out of the door new, the CC being a higher end model would have been quite a bit more expensive, no?

I'm not quite understanding that either.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of going after. About 1K cheaper then a clean 58-59 Anniversary too.....but, these are heavy and not very resonant? Might not be the one for me as my old 6120 was very lively.

– PanhandleRagged68

This '58 6193 in the reverb.com listing is US$3000... I don't think you'd have to pay $4000 for a double Anniversary. Should be able to find a nice one for less than $3k.

I don't by the "heavy" description either... just because a guitar has heavy trestle bracing it does not mean the guitar is heavy. It's just a description of the style of bracing.

I know one certain '58 CC quite good and for a hollow body it IS rather heavy. But that doesn't say anything about its qualities. That reverb ad looks like a great deal.

True about the weight. My 59 has the heavy trestles and is very comfy

If one wanted to avoid a CC with trestles (not due to weight but a preference for a standard archtop design) What years have the trestles and which don't?

'58 thru '62 model year CC have trestle bracing.

Thanks! Was that most electric models for those years? I saw a 57 streamliner once that had some sort of truncated or lighter trestle bracing. It was one of the single filtertron models that had no writing on the filtertron cover.

I've got a 6120 from early '59 with heavy trestles and a Double Annie from late '59 with light trestles. Both are great. Very different guitars.

Good double Annies are really worth it.

Would love to hear your thoughts on those differences, Redrocker

Would love to hear your thoughts on those differences, Redrocker

– eCastro

Me too!

If it is vintage vibe that you want, I guess vintage is the way to go. If it is vintage specs, then a Fuji-gen made Annie or 6120, if you can find one, would be the ticket. They were using the old Brooklyn template or something very close and are lighter and more resonant than the Terrada built ones. My 2005 Annie is almost identical in design to my 1960 Annie, hardware, etc. notwithstanding.

I feel like the 17" Gretsches are a totally different sound than a 6120 - not at all bad, but a different thing. Plenty of great tones in them, though!

Someone once said that 17 inch guitars have more authority than a 16 inch one. I lean towards what I feel is a fuller sound of the 17 inch one, but there's no right or wrong - just preference.

Register Sign in to join the conversation