Vintage Gretsch Guitars

57 Jet Duo 6128 with Dot Inlay

This guitar was inherited with no provenence information. Questions: Did Gretsch produce a Jet with Dot inlay in '57? There are weird things about the inlay. One, there are three dots further up the neck after the two dots. Didn't see that in any pictures of dot inlays. Second the dots aren't perfectly aligned, could Gretsch have done this? On the other hand the frets look old and seem to be the same age as the guitar, the trim on the neck clearly matches the age of the trim on the body. What gives? Anybody have any ideas?

Changed fretboard at some point occurs to me. The guitar looks to have lost its finish which is at least suggestive that someone might have no hesitation to change a fretboard.

Serial number would date it.

– Strummerson

You will find it on a label in the control cavity. Unscrew the cover on the back and it should be glued inside the the cavity. Take a photo and post it.

Serial number might also be hand-scribed on the edge of the large control cover (if it's original to the guitar).

With all the 50's Jets that have documented neck replacements it's plausible this one does too... but that's not a factory job. Perhaps someone took it upon themselves to fix a faulty neck. I agree too that the stripped finish on the body could be evidence of a luthier's restoration efforts.

I'd like to see a closer view of the headstock. It looks a little weird. On my phone the logo doesn't even say 'Gretsch' clearly enough.

I think you're right sascha. It looks like Gitesch to me. Good catch.

My error. Thanks for the clearer photo Bryan.

Stripped finish and replaced board seems most likely to me.

Those dots are too large to be factory. If the tuners are Grover StaTites they may be original to the guitar as those turned up on a few '56 and '57's, but Waverly tuners were the norm.

The dots don't look at all factory, but the fact that they're crooked suggests that they might be.

The dots don't look at all factory, but the fact that they're crooked suggests that they might be.

– Billy Zoom

Bahahaha so true!

Great comments! here's the label. I thought I saw other Jet's from this year with the same finish.

Great comments! here's the label. I thought I saw other Jet's from this year with the same finish.

– dminor

Nope. The 6128 was always black (except for a handful of green ones). The only Jet in a nearly natural finish would be the 6121, which is orange, but sometimes fades to almost natural. But that's a totally different animal.

This one certainly started life with a black top and a board with humpblock markers.

Yours is a 1957 model. Jets never came in that finish. Could you show the back and sides? They don't seem to match the interior cavity near the label. Yours should have humpblock markers with a black top and dark mahogany back sides and neck; identical to George Harrison's save the Bigsby. The pickguard isn't original either. A close-up of the tuners would be helpful too.

At least some or all of the original wiring is still there.

It should be noted that this guitar is worth restoring. If the back and sides still have the original finish, a professional top-only refinish to black wouldn't be a big deal. The board will be trickier, but there are certainly plenty of people (including our own Curt) who could do a credible job of it. If it were mine, I'd be on the hunt for a scrapped hump block board, if not to use, then to steal the inlays from.

That's a sweet jet! It just needs a little love. I've got one that's a little earlier than yours and it too was monkeyed with.

Great guitars!

Register Sign in to join the conversation