Vintage Gretsch Guitars

57 DuoJet PSA

Agreed. Not unreasonable for a '57. And the Bigsby looks to be the right age, '56-'57. If not factory ordered, than a very early mod.

Always like reviewing the lx updates on stuff for sale and cogent Afire commentary -- a great pair.

Love this one--Id buy it just for the bigsby if i were 20 years younger.

Hard to tell, but it looks like the neck isn’t on center? Or perhaps just a Bigsby install issue.

That was a dream guitar for me - a George Jet. I still have my '56 Jet Firebird I bought from Ernest in 2005.

It's hard to justify two of the same. I'll be kicking myself someday, though.

And it's gone. That sold quick.

It was rough, but how many chances do you get for a '57 under $3000? 10 years ago I'd have jumped on it, and since it's already a refin with a crude neck reset with dowels, maybe I'd given it the full George treatment, all black with a V-cut B3.

I once had a basketcase '57 Firebird thinking it might be a project, but I lost the appetite for it and got rid of it. And oddly enough, it had gold hardware and an armrest already installed. Somehow it never occurred to me that this was the perfect candidate for a Cadillac green conversion. That's one that I wish I could take back.

And apropos of nearly nothing, the one '57 Duo Jet that I did have was probably the worst buy I ever made. I paid top dollar to a seller who was throwing up red flags left and right, but I just had to have a '57 Duo Jet and had no patience. The guitar arrived in pretty sorry condition, needed about $1000 worth of work to be playable, and even then, there were multiple cracks and finish work that would always be there irritating me. To add insult to injury, just after I had passed the point of no return, a near mint '57 popped up on eBay, sold to Gary's Guitars for about $1000 less than what I paid, and then showed up on his site with the price doubled. Had I just held out for another week... I ended up selling it a couple years later for about half what I had in it.

It was rough, but how many chances do you get for a '57 under $3000? 10 years ago I'd have jumped on it, and since it's already a refin with a crude neck reset with dowels, maybe I'd given it the full George treatment, all black with a V-cut B3.

I once had a basketcase '57 Firebird thinking it might be a project, but I lost the appetite for it and got rid of it. And oddly enough, it had gold hardware and an armrest already installed. Somehow it never occurred to me that this was the perfect candidate for a Cadillac green conversion. That's one that I wish I could take back.

And apropos of nearly nothing, the one '57 Duo Jet that I did have was probably the worst buy I ever made. I paid top dollar to a seller who was throwing up red flags left and right, but I just had to have a '57 Duo Jet and had no patience. The guitar arrived in pretty sorry condition, needed about $1000 worth of work to be playable, and even then, there were multiple cracks and finish work that would always be there irritating me. To add insult to injury, just after I had passed the point of no return, a near mint '57 popped up on eBay, sold to Gary's Guitars for about $1000 less than what I paid, and then showed up on his site with the price doubled. Had I just held out for another week... I ended up selling it a couple years later for about half what I had in it.

– Afire

Oh, MAN, John. That is heartbreaking. As a consolation prize, I did find a good deal on a tube Vox Thomas Cambridge Reverb today. I don't have a lot of extra dough... but, ehhhhhh.

Hello gentlemen,

I must confess it was me who purchased it. I did a low offer and it was taken!! I went to sleep in my country and woke up thinking some other guy might have jumped on it only to discover it was me the buyer. It arrived today to my friend's place in New Yersey. There's some things that weren't mentioned in the sellers ad that will need to be fixed for sure! But it'll be fun to get it done and bring her to a joyous state again. all seems (quite) under control... I wanted to ask:

Do you have recommendations on finish? I am not concerned to get a better finish for the neck, body and headstock.... but what about the top? I think these nitron tops don't accept nitro and end up in a horrible way, right?

any info you can drop me will be great!

cheers!

Biel

A nitron top would be somewhat unusual for this year. IIRC there was checking on the finish; that would suggest a nitrocellulose lacquer finish which shouldn't be an issue. Please don't go with the cheaper poly finish. You got a good deal -- cheapest one I've seen in many years. Enjoy!

OK! so no nitron in '57!! man! I keep forgetting all these things.... Easier then!

No worries, rest assured I'll pay this lady the respect it deserves. After me, it'll appear nobody messed up with her.

thanks!

Post pictures of the lovely lady when you are done please.

Based on the pix in the ad, I wouldn't do anything to her finish-wise. Don't over-restore, make her play great but still show her history

RIGHT NOW:

Bridge was pinned seriously on top :)

Congratulations! I have a 55 and it is easily one of the best guitars I ever owned.They just sound so good!

Biel, if it's in New Jersey, USA then it is only minutes away from Curt, if it need work.

'57 was the year when Nitron started to be replaced with paint. My old '57 was Nitron, but many are painted, as this one appears to be. Which makes it much easier to restore.

+1  — I'm with NJBob, if you're looking to get finish work done and the guitar is in New Jersey, sending to Curt would be the right move. His finish work is A++.

Either way, congrats!!

Congratulations my friend! I wanted that one real bad, not that I needed it. I’m glad to see it ended up in the family.

Congratulations my friend! I wanted that one real bad, not that I needed it. I’m glad to see it ended up in the family.

Register Sign in to join the conversation