Vintage Gretsch Guitars

57 Caddy Club w/Drunken Logo

The logo does look a tad "iffy" but not a deal killer. I've never seen Gretsch pick guards with white lettering. That would not be a deal breaker either -- it appears to be a gorgeous guitar.

Sadly the price is a deal breaker for me I think it's regrettable that most of these instruments are priced out of the hands of players (unless they have a lot of disposable income.) That's why I always end up with the fixer uppers.

Sadly the price is a deal breaker for me I think it's regrettable that most of these instruments are priced out of the hands of players (unless they have a lot of disposable income.) That's why I always end up with the fixer uppers.

– Toxophilite

I agree that $5k is a lot of money... but when you compare getting an iconic all original Gretsch guitar from 1957 to Telecasters, Stratocasters, and Les Pauls from the same period, it's still a relative bargain.

That guitar is at the top of my Covet List. It’ll have to wait ‘till I am a little more successful, monetarily. What’s life without something to look forward to?

I agree that $5k is a lot of money... but when you compare getting an iconic all original Gretsch guitar from 1957 to Telecasters, Stratocasters, and Les Pauls from the same period, it's still a relative bargain.

– kc_eddie_b

The key word being relative! And speaking of relative that's $6.7+ k Can. I'd way rather have the Gretsch though than strats teles and les pauls. Planks!! Planks I tell you! Look at all that big beautiful bang you're getting for your buck. And you not only get the guitar, you get the space inside it too!!

However still beyond my price range. I'd love to have one though. I'll start one of those gofundme campaigns with a plea based upon the lamentable fate of the penniless player and how I need a big green shiny guitar from the 50s to help further my altruistic plans for the betterment of humanity

It's a lot of money, but less than most of the better known dealers are asking for early green Clubs these days, and probably not totally unrealistic. But asking prices seem to get more confusing with every passing day. I just looked at the Roundups on Reverb the other day out of curiosity, and somehow they went from not selling at $10,000 to being repriced to $25,000. It's almost as though asking prices no longer bear any relation to realistic selling prices. Might as well just slap a $1,000,000 price tag on 'em.

I'm really in love with this baby. Something I wonder: has anyone ever seen an original Gretsch pickguard with letters in white? Thickness and holes seem to be correct ...

Yes.. The debut year (1955) of the Chet Atkins 6120 and 6121 models had signpost guards in white on the standard gold background.

Yes.. The debut year (1955) of the Chet Atkins 6120 and 6121 models had signpost guards in white on the standard gold background.

– kc_eddie_b

Thanks Ed. Have you ever seen the white letters on some later model, like this '57 CC ?

I've seen several 1963 Country Gents with white lettering on the pickguard. Apparently it was something Gretsch tried periodically.

And it’s common for black colored guards to have white lettering

Register Sign in to join the conversation