Vintage Gretsch Guitars

53/‘54 Blonde Constellation PSA

Mel Waldorf -- the big construction difference between a Country Club and a Constellation is in their thickness: The Constellation is 3 3/8" thick while the Country Club is 2.75" thick throughout most of the 1950's. I understand, though -- and someone can correct me if I am wrong -- but the Electros from 1953 and the early, early Country Clubs were also of the same thickness of a Constellation. The multiple layers of bindings on the body and on the neck and headstock are identical multiple layers. I don't know about yours, but my Constellation has lightly flamed sides and a quilted maple back along with a close grained spruce top.

I don't know how to post a link, but I just received an email from Reverb showing a posting for a Gretsch Constellation whose serial number is #12312 -- which is 9 guitars earlier than mine. WOW! and the Reverb one is a beautiful baby! And different from mine in only one respect: It does NOT have a large block inlay on the first fret whereas mine does. Otherwise, it has the same ebonized headstock overlay, what appears to be the same Kluson "waffleback" tuners but it is in no way flamey like mine.

Here's the link.

WOW! and the Reverb one is a beautiful baby! It certainly is!

But WAIT! That's not all! Reverb also has this one, in lotus ivory/grey.

The description in the listing mentions it comes with "some plug in apparatus"...wouldn't it be something if that was a vintage Rhythm Chief!?!?!?!

I don't know how to post a link, but I just received an email from Reverb showing a posting for a Gretsch Constellation whose serial number is #12312 -- which is 9 guitars earlier than mine. WOW! and the Reverb one is a beautiful baby! And different from mine in only one respect: It does NOT have a large block inlay on the first fret whereas mine does. Otherwise, it has the same ebonized headstock overlay, what appears to be the same Kluson "waffleback" tuners but it is in no way flamey like mine.

– ewkewk

ewkewk... where are you seeing the #12312 indicator? The image that Ric posted is #12361 (I think).

Hey now, don't see that every day!

Oh wow, I just noticed that's an actual lefty D Armand pick up. Extremely cool.

kc_eddie_b -- the #12312 is the one I mentioned just recently posted on Reverb. This is the Constellation with big block inlays instead of hump blocks inlays but, unlike mine, has no inlay on the first fret. The number is pretty clearly visible in one of the pictures posted.. . .Proteus has posted the link since I don't know how to.

kc_eddie_b -- the #12312 is the one I mentioned just recently posted on Reverb. This is the Constellation with big block inlays instead of hump blocks inlays but, unlike mine, has no inlay on the first fret. The number is pretty clearly visible in one of the pictures posted.. . .Proteus has posted the link since I don't know how to.

– ewkewk

I'm confused... Proteus' link takes me to the same sunburst, hump-block model that Ric12string posted a photo of. I don't see the serial # on that.

There are two links in my post. The second one goes to this.

Which, in my sheltered life, is something I don't see every day.

No Affiliation With Seller.

Sweet looking and clean with the exception of a Grover Imperial switched out for a Sta-tite. I think I see some neck heel separation and some headstock wing separation, but with no bid minimum this could be a real deal. Tweed case too. Dig the neck angle!

– lx

Only 6 hrs left on the bidding for this one. 5 bids so far and the price is still low. Would be nice if someone around here dives in and snags this one. If you do.....let us know.

There are two links in my post. The second one goes to this.

Which, in my sheltered life, is something I don't see every day.

– Proteus

That colour combo and the sharkfin pickguard is one of the best Gretsches ever.

kc_eddie-b the #12376 link is the one at the very top of this thread posted by "lx". I have #12321. I received a Reverb email about a Constellation numbered #12312. Mel Waldorf says his Constellation is numbered about 10 later than the "lx" link. So we have four Constellations running from #12312 to #12386 (the latter number approximate). My question is, therefore, how big a batch of Constellations did Gretsch make in late 1953? And more specifically would Gretsch have made a batch of maybe 75 guitars of a model that didn't sell too well? If Gretsch normally made batches of 50 guitars at a time of models that didn't sell that well, are there other models that we know about buried within this sequence of numbers?

$1285. Someone got a pretty fair deal.

Thanks Spike.....someone got a hell of a deal! Wonder if it was someone around here?

kc_eddie-b the #12376 link is the one at the very top of this thread posted by "lx". I have #12321. I received a Reverb email about a Constellation numbered #12312. Mel Waldorf says his Constellation is numbered about 10 later than the "lx" link. So we have four Constellations running from #12312 to #12386 (the latter number approximate). My question is, therefore, how big a batch of Constellations did Gretsch make in late 1953? And more specifically would Gretsch have made a batch of maybe 75 guitars of a model that didn't sell too well? If Gretsch normally made batches of 50 guitars at a time of models that didn't sell that well, are there other models that we know about buried within this sequence of numbers?

– ewkewk

ewkewk... the #12300-12399 batch was a 100 unit group of Constellations. I've documented 14 specimens, the earliest being #12310 and the latest being #12387. I've not documented a single other model within this range. They were all Constellations in my opinion.

kc_eddie_b Thanks, Ed!

kc_eddie_b I messaged the seller of that lefty Constellation on Reverb and asked him what was the serial number. He sent me a photo showing the guitar has a serial number of 12397. So that is the 15th documented specimen for you to add to your data base.

kc_eddie_b I messaged the seller of that lefty Constellation on Reverb and asked him what was the serial number. He sent me a photo showing the guitar has a serial number of 12397. So that is the 15th documented specimen for you to add to your data base.

– ewkewk

Thank you Sir... every data point helps!

Register Sign in to join the conversation