Vintage Gretsch Guitars

53 DuoJet Perfection

NFI.

Good grief Charlie Brown. This has everything. Everything. Scripty logo, Nitron top, body logo badge (although this looks uncomfortable for playing-didn't know they stuck out), stud-mounted Melita, all wrapped in clean tweed. I'd think 5-10 minutes in an oven would cure the curled pickguard. Just, wow. Notice that the bottom of the headstock has a little more angle than later versions and Gretsch used two pieces of binding for the sides. I really like the flared-out headstock look.

Nice, too bad about those drilled holes in the top. Looks like the neck is possibly on crooked too?

Nice ! What model "Bixby" was on it?

Nice ! What model "Bixby" was on it?

– GaryE

It seems we'll never know, as the shop would appear to have been kind enough to hold the Bixby back from the sale.

Still, the price is a "deal" compared to the Rose-Morris 1998 the seller also just listed.

Dang that is nice.... a first year Duo-Jet. Wonder why the bridge looks gold plated? Is it do to plating wearing off and it’s showing a brass construction? Just curious. It would be nice to know the serial number.

The Reverb seller is called "Carter's Vintage Collectibles" in Illinois somewhere. A bit misleading as Walter Carter has a shop in Nashville called Carter Vintage Guitars. He is a well-known author/"expert" in the vintage guitar field.

I think Walter Carter would know how to spell Bigsby - there are two xx's!

I tend to lose my objectivity when it comes to Scripty Jets... this one makes me all tingly. The price is not unreasonable.

Only 150 Scripty Jets made in 1953, and less than half of those have the fixed-Melita bridge feature, and only a very few have the “drum badge”.

Laugh all you want at the "Bixby" spelling, but this seller isn't the first to make that mistake (read under "Features")...

This is one where if I had the $ I would plunk it down.

Thanks for posting the pic Buddy as it also has something I just noticed. The polepieces on the bridge pickup are oriented towards the neck. Not sure if this is original, but the '52/3 catalog shots show the same arrangement; the pickups are called "Gretsch-DeArmond" and not yet Dynasonic.

It's funny to think that in 1953 the Jet probably sounded closer to what Les Paul was actually using than his namesake guitar of the period.

Thanks for posting the pic Buddy as it also has something I just noticed. The polepieces on the bridge pickup are oriented towards the neck. Not sure if this is original, but the '52/3 catalog shots show the same arrangement; the pickups are called "Gretsch-DeArmond" and not yet Dynasonic.

– lx

I hesitate to ever say "all" but at least most were that way. My former '53 not only had the bridge pickup oriented with poles toward the neck, but the routing was tight such that it couldn't be flipped the other way.

Register Sign in to join the conversation