Vintage Gretsch Guitars

$27,000.. YIKES!!!

He's been trying to offload that combo for years. It's actually come down in price, last time I saw it on ebay it was 35K.

Haven't seen that on the market for five years or so.

There's so much bizarre irony with this guitar. I remember it from when I was a young buck in my mid 20s. It popped up on eBay in 2001 (maybe 2000) and its first go-around saw it get up to near $10,000 (and this was back when most eBay listings were actual auctions). I remember standing at the UW Memorial Library bank of computers paying no attention to what I was supposed to be doing and watching the closing minutes of this auction instead. It got up to nearly $10,000, which was and still is unparalleled for a Duo Jet. But it didn't meet reserve. Instead, it sat on the market for over a decade. And when it finally sold, it sold for just shy of $10,000. In other words, the seller wasted a decade holding out for top dollar.

Over a year ago, he started with a price of 60.000,-- USD.

This was at the Philadelphia Guitar Show last year. Nice, but the price speaks for itself since it’s still available.

So, in our world, this will always be known as the "yikes" guitar. Poor girl probably never gets played.

THe seller did quote that the GDP calls this the YIKES jet and blah blah blah.

Hey Ed, based on what we know of serial numbers today, is it plausible that 11915 is the first jet to be made, or could there be 15 guitars prior to it in the batch? The claim of first duo jet is a bit out there, as opposed to the earliest documented example….

This was at the Philadelphia Guitar Show last year. Nice, but the price speaks for itself since it’s still available.

– Baba Joe

This one ---

I don't recall the price. I don't think there was a tag on it......

Ooooh! It's in Neat Mint condition.

The price seems like a bargain if you consider early Fenders and Gibsons. Why would a very early Gretsch be valued so much lower than a Les Paul or a Strat?

I want to play it!

As far as being a tool of the trade musical instrument, you could buy a similar quality from Stephen Stern's Custom Shop for a fraction of the cost. For that matter the VS reissues from Terada are great guitars too.

The price seems like a bargain if you consider early Fenders and Gibsons. Why would a very early Gretsch be valued so much lower than a Les Paul or a Strat?

– Hipbone

Supply and demand dictates the price of all things collectible. Had the British blues boys chosen a Duo Jet over a Les Paul Standard "Burst", it would be quite a different story.

Joe... I have every reason to believe that there are earlier jets from this batch. They just haven't surfaced yet.

Ed Me too. I wonder what happens to YIKES when an even one of those 15 earlier examples shows up! Price goes back down to $10k or less?

Joe

anyone would spend that much money on a guitar...deserves to.

Ed Me too. I wonder what happens to YIKES when an even one of those 15 earlier examples shows up! Price goes back down to $10k or less?

Joe

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

I think the value always has been and still is about $10k, regardless of whether it's the earliest documented or not. Anybody familiar with this guitar in particular knows that it took a decade for the original seller to accept $10k (though ironically, he could have gotten that much on the very first listing). And anybody remotely familiar with vintage Gretsches knows that $10k is top, top, top dollar for any Duo Jet. The current owner is apparently trolling for a sucker, not serious about moving it. $60k said "not for sale." $27k says "maybe there's someone, somewhere dumb enough to bite." If the current owner is the guy who bought it from the original eBay seller, then he knows as well as anybody that it's really a $10k guitar. If he's the second owner since then, then chances are pretty good that he's the sucker.

Yes, but is the earliest documented Duo Jet worth more than Cliff Gallup's Jet?

Yes, but is the earliest documented Duo Jet worth more than Cliff Gallup's Jet?

– lx

Or George Harrison's Jet for that matter!

I remember many years ago when this guitar was sold for 10k. The guy who bought it was a member here and shared it here with pictures.

THe seller did quote that the GDP calls this the YIKES jet and blah blah blah.

Hey Ed, based on what we know of serial numbers today, is it plausible that 11915 is the first jet to be made, or could there be 15 guitars prior to it in the batch? The claim of first duo jet is a bit out there, as opposed to the earliest documented example….

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

Well, to be fair, the original poster to E-Bay referred to it as such. I really wish I had saved a pic and description of that original posting. "YIKES" So yes, here at the GDP that will always be the yikes guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation