Vintage Gretsch Guitars

2 new old killer archtops

Got th ese two recently. Both play really well and sound killer.

The 6187 8 needs an original tailpiece. I'm thinking the pickguard is original

6187 is a 53 and neither show any signs of binding rot. Both necks are straight with very low actions. Dynas on the 6187 are full on Beast!

Corsair came in a cowboy case and 6187 came in a Stone faux crocodile skin case.

The 6187 8 needs an original tailpiece.

There's one on Reverb currently: https://reverb.com/item/218...

A little spendy, but the seller has the option to make an offer.

Very nice looking ladies.

For my tastes the original tailpiece is very vanilla, compared to the lovely G cut out on there now. The original looks like something I'd see on an orchestra grade archtop.

I'd be looking for an original or reissue Art Deco bridge/base. I believe the one on there now is from later on.

This is a beast

– gretschcrush

Wow! Do you know if it was born with the guts, or did someone wire in pickups?

Wow! Do you know if it was born with the guts, or did someone wire in pickups?

– hilosean

No it came from the factory like this. No mods

@ Dave- Yes I agree. The original will go in the case I won't be taking this tailpiece off. Will look into bridges

@ Dave- Yes I agree. The original will go in the case I won't be taking this tailpiece off. Will look into bridges

– gretschcrush

A suggestion: a brass Tru-Arc or Serpentune. The last owner of my Clipper thoughtfully put on a an old Chet bridge and it sounds fantastic. Something about the string things moving that mass of brass on the box of wood makes it really sing.

A suggestion: a brass Tru-Arc or Serpentune. The last owner of my Clipper thoughtfully put on a an old Chet bridge and it sounds fantastic. Something about the string things moving that mass of brass on the box of wood makes it really sing.

– lx

Thanks for the recommendation a tru arc is just the ticket

Andrew - I'm curious, when the bridge deArmond pickup is placed more towards the center point between the neck PU and the bridge, does the guitar sound "better"?

What I'm driving at is that I tend to find that the neck deArmonds sound perfect, fat and rounded; while the bridge ones are thinner. I wonder if the more centered placement on yours is, in fact, the "perfect" placement.

– gretschcrush

The 'blonde' (Clipper) has the bridge base I'm talking about - just noticed that now. These bridges deliver a nice woody tone a Tru Arc doesn't but this guitar being electric might better suit a metallic bridge. You have the other guitar to compare and hear that woody tone I'm referring to.

Andrew - I'm curious, when the bridge deArmond pickup is placed more towards the center point between the neck PU and the bridge, does the guitar sound "better"?

What I'm driving at is that I tend to find that the neck deArmonds sound perfect, fat and rounded; while the bridge ones are thinner. I wonder if the more centered placement on yours is, in fact, the "perfect" placement.

– knavel

It might be perfect for some. The bridge pickup on my '53 Jet was about where it is on Andrew's Electro. And the difference is noticeable. It is decidedly fatter sounding. So if that's what you're after, you'll like it. But it didn't quite suit me. Fat has never been what I look for in a bridge pickup. I want as much brightness as I can get.

Fat has never been what I look for in a bridge pickup. I want as much brightness as I can get.

I want both! My issue, so to speak, is not fat versus bright, but more of a balance between the two pickups. I found that with deArmonds when gigging I would only go between neck and middle position. The bridge position would be a loss of presence and even volume. It should be the other way around.

Register Sign in to join the conversation