Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1985 Gretsch Country Club?

I have been made a trade offer through Craigslist. The other guy has a guitar which he says is a 1985 Country Club and that it was made in Brooklyn. It's my understanding that no Gretsch guitars were being made in 1985 at all, Baldwin having cease production, and this was the year that Fred W. bought the Gretsch name.

Do I have the history right? Could this actually be from 1985? Odds of it being counterfeit?

I've attached a pic of the guitar in question.

I would really appreciate any input you guys have.

I've never seen "f" holes like that on a real Gretsch, any year!!!!

Fake IMO..............Run son, run.

Fake, take a look at the twelfth fret.

The neck inlays identify it as a counterfeit. Those are in no way Neo-Classic-Thumbnails. I assume someone took a copy and put some original parts on it. Bigsby, Filtertrons and knobs look right. Neck, body shape, mounted bridge, switches and pickguard are all wrong. Stay away from this! (Except you can get it for 200 bucks or below.)

That's actually kind of funny. Not as much for managarmr, but in general. The scam artist picking a year that is one of just a few where the brand wasn't even being made is classic!

Thanks for your help guys. I do find it pretty funny. I was extremely dubious, but my Gretsch knowledge base is pretty limited, so I thought I would run it by people that know a lot more than me. It's just another typical Craigslist story.

I have been made a trade offer through Craigslist. The other guy has a guitar which he says is a 1985 Country Club and that it was made in Brooklyn. It's my understanding that no Gretsch guitars were being made in 1985 at all, Baldwin having cease production, and this was the year that Fred W. bought the Gretsch name.

Do I have the history right? Could this actually be from 1985? Odds of it being counterfeit?

I've attached a pic of the guitar in question.

I would really appreciate any input you guys have.

– managarmr

Correct, 1970 last year for Brooklyn guitars. And Gretsch was toast from 1980-89. There may have been a few last gasp 1981 models. So the claims on that guitar are way off.

Is that an orange and white label inside the bass f-hole? It looks like no attempt was made to make it like an old Gretsch. It looks like it may be someone's version of a "modern" Gretsch. And if so, why? Managarmr, which craigslist is this on? I think it warrants a second look.

I could see it was fake right away by the shape of the f holes.

It's not active on CL. It came my way as an offer for a guitar I have listed on CL.

To add to the already established fakery: stud-mount bridge

Here are a few more pics for any of you that are interested.

What's it say on the headstock in that oval?

"If you can read this, run away."

Made in The Peoples Republic of Brooklyn.

Yep, a lot of things on that guitar are way off. The only way it resembles my Country Club, is that it's also a hollow body. Other than maybe a custom order here and there, Gretsch never made Country Clubs with a red finish.

It just gets wronger and wronger.

Actually the f holes could be correct, that is they were like this on a few models. The seller ad running now reads... "I bought this guitar as a basket case, completely stripped it apart and ordered all new USA OEM parts from Gretsch in Arizona, new pickups Filtertron , new wiring harness , new 500 ohm pots, and toggle switches, new Gretsch Bigsby tail piece , installed a set deluxe Nashville bridge instead of a floating bridge, a set of Deluxe Grover imperial tuners, and a set of gold deluxe nobs ( two are missing I will try to locate them before I sell the guitar) the controls all work perfectly and are all brand new, the neck was reset and has a new rosewood fretboard with Pearliod markers , the guitar was originally a brown stain that was in poor condition and had blotches were the clear was worn away, it has since been stripped down and sealed and painted OEM Gretsch orange , the guitar plays well and sounds fantastic as it should, it been about 5 years since its been setup so it could use a setup and perhaps a new set of strings as it's been sitting since 2008 since I last played it, I'm asking 1500.00 or best CLOSE offer witch is a fraction of what I have into this guitar, so I'm not very negotiable, this is not a Japanese Model it is a USA Brooklyn NY model that was old stock, I bought it off a guitar collector I met at the LI NY Guitar show as a basket case, it had a beat up original case that I replaced with a Mandon new aftermarket molded hard case that is in new condition, call for more info show contact info note: I would also be interested in a trade for a Gibson les paul standard." I have never seen the double oval on a Gretsch headstock, the seller said the wording in the oval is "Professional Guitars". Additionally the seller says the refinish was done by Godfather Music in NY. Anybody know of them?

Did anyone else notice the White Falcon pickguard? From that long winded description, my conclusion about the seller is that not only is he grossly uninformed but knows absolutely nothing about Gretsch guitars. Either he is a scam artist (a poor one at that!) or his IQ is south of room temperature. Just because he got taken when he bought it that's no reason to expect to find another sucker to buy it from him!

I'd give him $200 and part it out. The value is in the Bibsby, F'tron, Grover Imperial Stairsteps, gold knobs and perhaps the bridge and harness/pots.

For $200 you not only get to part out the hardware on eBay, but you could get the old lighter fluid into action and smack the body to pieces while it's on fire!

Register Sign in to join the conversation