Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1979 Country Club?

Im not in the market for a guitar but that price seems odd. Even for Europe. But I never saw a walnut/dark brown Baldwin CC. Is it all legit? Did Baldwin really had "Gretsch Guitars" printed on their labels? That's what I read from the picture

https://www.willhaben.at/ia...

But I never saw a walnut/dark brown Baldwin CC. Is it all legit?

Yep, that's the correct finish for a model 7577. They called it "Antique Maple," and for some reason, this model of Country Club came stock with chrome hardware.

Most late 70s Clubs I have seen were natural ... that dark finish is new to me.

Rare in Europe and color notwithstanding, that's too much for a Baldwin CC, from probably it's last year of production. FWIW, I've never heard of this color either.

Very popular color baby poop brown

Right on Paul. It matches the piss yellow color of the aged binding!.....and the two don't look good together either.

My uncle had one just like this,i think his was 1978,he put a Bigsby on too,it had red paint on it but he had it painted black.

It was in the window of the shop when a bomb went off across the road shattering the window with all the guitars in,(remember this is Belfast in the late 80's) it had a few chips and scrapes so that's how he got it, in the bomb damaged sale! It had no case though so he had to buy a Takamine acoustic case for it. It was a bugger to play though, he later give it to his son ,who traded it for a dog house bass!

Very popular color baby poop brown. - Setzer

It matches the piss yellow color of the aged binding! - Windsordave

I was born in 1975, so I barely have any memory of the '70s, but I can tell you that from my earliest childhood memories, it seems like I was living in a world of shit brown, piss yellow and puke green. That sure was an ugly decade.

I was born in 1975, so I barely have any memory of the '70s, but I can tell you that from my earliest childhood memories, it seems like I was living in a world of shit brown, piss yellow and puke green. That sure was an ugly decade.

– Afire

Take it from one who was there....cars, clothes, color choices... uggleeeeee!

– Afire

Couldn't agree with you more regarding your assessment of that decade, especially from the mid point on when it was highlighted by guys sporting perms and plaid bell bottoms!.....not a pretty site!

I think the brown colour is lovely regardless of the unfortunate era it was spawned in and the negative opinions expressed here. I would be happy to have one of those Country clubs and think that it retains a classic Gretsch beauty not unlike the 60s country gents. I'm not keen on that pickguard shape but it's a nice looking guitar. My 64 Tennessean is a similar colour and it is beautiful. I will fight to death any misguided aesthetically challenged excreta obsessed individual who tells me differently

Register Sign in to join the conversation