Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1976 Rok Jet

I recently picked up what appears to be a 1976 Rok Jet 7612.i love the way it plays .

Here's another picture. Can some one help confirm the year .

One more picture. Any idea of the value as well as the year?

Yes, it decodes as built in Sept. 1976-- which was built in Booneville ARK. by Bill Hagner/Hagner Musical Instruments. 1976 models were built after the two Gretsch factory fires, which is why Hagner built them in his facility.

I can't give an accurate valuation, but I'm sure someone else can probably give you a ballpark estimate.

I just read online that the two fires were actually at the HAGNER factories ? If this is correct where would these guitars be manufactured ??

This guitar was manufactured in Booneville, Arkansas. It's Gretsch thru and thru. The same craftsman who made guitars in Arkansas prior to 1976 continued making them until January of 1981 when production ceased. Hagner Musical Instruments was a corporation set up by Bill Hagner, production manager of Gretsch, with financial help from Fred Gretsch, Jr. to the tune of nearly $500,000 after the two fires at the Baldwin facility. Baldwin was going to abandon guitar making due to the high cost of rebuilding and new equipment after the fires and Fred Gretsch basically made it possible for Baldwin to continue with production by financing Hagner Musical Instruments who made the guitars under contract to Baldwin using all the same people. Sometime in the late 1970's when Gretsch guitar sales increased, Baldwin once again took over direct production of the guitars using the same people. For all intents and purposes, Hagner Musical Instruments was simply a vehicle for Baldwin to continue production of the guitars until sales were sufficient for Baldwin to assume direct production again without having to invest a lot of capital in equipment and a factory building. Baldwin always controlled marketing and sales..... As to the value of your guitar, somewhere between $1300 and maybe as high as $2000. All depending on condition

Thanks for all the info. Very interesting indeed. Not too concerned about the price since I believe this is a keeper It is in excellent condition by the way . Sounds amazing.

Thanks for all the info. Very interesting indeed. Not too concerned about the price since I believe this is a keeper It is in excellent condition by the way . Sounds amazing.

– WOLFHOUND

Great guitar, I think I saw it on Kijjii. I wanted to pull the trigger on that one, if you ever decide to sell let me know. I've been on the hunt for one of those for a while

Nice score as this is a finish not seen too often and you can see it in the '75 catalog. Not to be a rude nerd, but they're called Roc Jets. I saw the Cowboy Junkies a couple of years ago and Andy Timmons was pulling some great tones from his. '70's Gretsches are undervalued. Have fun!

The Supertron pickups are especially sweet for rock & blues.

Register Sign in to join the conversation