Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1976 corvette II model 7630 info wanted.

Hey all. New to this forum. Just bought a vintage 7630 corvette II, and am seeking any info on this odd duck. Mainly, what the stock pickups should be, as its pretty obvious, that these are not stock. Thanks in advance.

I'm not positive, but these may have had humbuckers; Dimarzios often appeared on some Gretsches in the mid/late '70's. If yours has the separate (from the pickguard) football-shaped control plate, this is probably what was used. Try a google image search as some Corvettes there appear to have these.

I think DiMarzio were stock on that model. Of course, that 1977 to 79 period was when Gretsch wanted a piece of the hard rock market and so came the Vette II, TK 300, BST etc. DiMarzio was about first on the the aftermarket pickup scene that got going aroun 1975,

The word always was that the buckers on the TK-300 were of Japanese origin and were superloud.

Make sure to get it in the database. Those don't turn up often.

Make sure to get it in the database. Those don't turn up often.

– Baxter

Bax, I don't believe that there is a category for a Corvette II model. Perhaps you or Tartan Phantom could create one.

And jdhobson, what Baxter is referring to is that there is a database which he created of Gretsch guitars which will serve as a repository documenting the history of Gretsch guitars. It will allow all of us, whether historians or merely curious Gretsch players, to check back to see how Gretsch guitars were made at various times in the past. What pickups came stock? What were the features offered in a given year? It can also be helpful to an owner to document for an insurance company his/her ownership of a guitar in the event that it is destroyed or stolen.

Once a new category is created for a Corvette II, you can add it here CLICK THIS LINK.

You're correct. The 7630 Corvette II is not in there. the 7632 Corvette Deluxe is, but that's a different animal.

The category has now been added HERE.

Let me see if i can post some pics.

...last one til i get home and snap insides.

Thanks for adding it! And thanks to Rob (Tartan Phantom) for adding the category.

Those look like Dimarzio's under Gretsch pickup covers.

Those look like Dimarzio's under Gretsch pickup covers.

– Suprdave

Wouldnt they say dimarzio on the back?

Thanks for adding it! And thanks to Rob (Tartan Phantom) for adding the category.

– Baxter

Thanks Rob!

Pretty sure those are modern Gretsch-buckers.

Pretty sure those are modern Gretsch-buckers.

– lx

The covers are, but look closer. One side has a white bobbin and slugs. They are some sort of Gibsonesque 'buckers. I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to tell who made them.

In the 70s, most likely dimarzios. I’m thinking the covers are not original

I think the Gretschbucker covers are a great fit over the Dimarzios. I’d rock that vette. If the OP wants to sell or trade, PM me.

Register Sign in to join the conversation