Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1967 Rally headstock wave

Color down! Need to get the clear on it still.

– LegendaryV

That looks awesome! Turned out better than my '68 Rally headstock. I was too afraid to sand too much. And then ended up with pin hole sized bubbles in the lacquer. Might sand it again someday, but having fun playing it. The binding was a challenge. Keep up the good work!

How did you paint it? Did you somehow mask off the "GRETSCH"? Looks perfect.

Time... and sanding. Block sand everything. I would rotate between 220 and 330 grits. I’m using Reranch nitro rattle cans for the black.

Before sanding, remember layers. In taking off the original finish, I went extremely slowly and let the sandpaper do the work. I did end up getting down to a point that the logo was too white and so I used a few thin layers of the amber clear coat that Reranch sells to get the yellow back in the logo.

Then I used packing tape to tape off the logo, then an exacto knife to cut out the letters. If you notice in the original, the black didn’t even come up around the original G. I can’t tell if that’s because someone tried to redo this headstock already or if the original manufacturing process wasn’t that clean.

Then several coats of black so I could block sand without going through the color layers. Then I waited for it to dry and found a small jewelers screwdriver to pull off the tape. More careful block sanding and bobs your uncle.

That looks awesome! Turned out better than my '68 Rally headstock. I was too afraid to sand too much. And then ended up with pin hole sized bubbles in the lacquer. Might sand it again someday, but having fun playing it. The binding was a challenge. Keep up the good work!

– RallyMan

Binding is also on the project list. I think I finally found a source with the right sizing.

Binding is also on the project list. I think I finally found a source with the right sizing.

– LegendaryV

Where did you get your binding? I got my binding through StewMac. I also used their orange masking tape to hold it and regular acetone as the glue. My biggest mistake was I bought binding that was a little too thick so I had a lot of scraping. A helpful hint I found out toward the end is to take a fresh razor blade and run it at an angle across something hard like the round part of a screwdriver to make its edge hook like a J. It takes off more binding but feels more controllable. Keep up the good work!

Register Sign in to join the conversation