Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1967 Rally headstock wave

Hey! I’m the proud owner of a 1967 Gretsch Rally husk that I will be starting repairs on soon. Surprisingly, it’s not the other husk that was floating around here a few years ago.

As I’m taking stock of what I have and deciding how far I’m going to go, I was curious to get peoples thoughts on the headstock wave that mine shows. Is this common? It looks like it’s in the wood.

I know I’m likely looking at a lot of flat block sanding and clear coats to get this back up to working. Has this veneer cracked beyond repair? Also, if anyone has done this, how thick is the Gretsch logo? Am I going to shave it off with a few passes of a flat block like you would a Gibson decal?

You have to pop the Gretsch out, of you attempt to level that the Gretsch will be all white.

My '67 Rally is my favorite guitar. I've never played another guitar that I love as much as it. Mine has that wave thing going too. Doesn't bug me at all. What if you sprayed it with a million coats of clear and then sanded it flat? Could you post some more photos of the husk? I'd love to see it!

The clear would crack but clear epoxy would work.

The black headstock overlay is usually not wood but ebonized cardboard.

It’s a 67 Rally, I'm pretty sure the inlay is set into the maple headstock. The cardboard is post Brooklyn and I believe it's an FMIC thing.

Look at the side of the headstock and see if there's a seam that would indicate a head plate. If there is you can gently remove it or cut around it like I did here. They painted or stained over the head plates on both the maple and the ebony.

https://www.oldschoolguitar...

Curt Wilson: I have a NOS ebonized cardboard headstock overlay as well as a NOS flamed maple headstock overlay for a 6120 with a horseshoe inlay. I acquired both in the mid-1980's and my recollection was that the person who sold them to me told me they both dated from the Brooklyn era. Since Gretsch stopped using the horseshoe inlay on the 6120's circa 1970, it is in fact likely that the overlays date from the 1960's

Maple yes cardboard no.

It is possible Baldwin started making the cardboard head plates but I haven't seen one on anything but FMIC era. The 67 in the picture is clearly wood fracturing along the grain line.

Thanks Curt! After looking at it in a little more detail in the sunlight, I have some more work to do here. Including likely removing this veneer. It's pretty beat up. This does have the headstock chip.

It sounds like a fun project.

– Curt Wilson

Looks like an extensive/expensive project.

Good luck!

If he/she is doing it themselves all it will cost is time.

photo 8.jpg

Here’s one of the cardboard style I installed on my AJ project. Before clearcoats.

photo 1286857211.jpg

Some clear coats

Cardboard!!!???? I never knew!! That’s a nice bit of info!!

Fiberboard

; - )

Hey! I’m the proud owner of a 1967 Gretsch Rally husk that I will be starting repairs on soon. Surprisingly, it’s not the other husk that was floating around here a few years ago.

As I’m taking stock of what I have and deciding how far I’m going to go, I was curious to get peoples thoughts on the headstock wave that mine shows. Is this common? It looks like it’s in the wood.

I know I’m likely looking at a lot of flat block sanding and clear coats to get this back up to working. Has this veneer cracked beyond repair? Also, if anyone has done this, how thick is the Gretsch logo? Am I going to shave it off with a few passes of a flat block like you would a Gibson decal?

– LegendaryV

Hi, my 65 Annie has the same headstock lines / wrinkles / waves. Nice project you have there.

Register Sign in to join the conversation