Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1966 Annie in factory gold*

Maybe that's the guitar that started the legend of the Gold Duke. At least as far as I know, it's still an unconfirmed legend.

– Afire

There are pics of the Gold and Silver Duke in the first Bacon and Day book. They say that their both from 1966; they both came with the Gretsch horseshoe Bigsby.

The Silver Duke guitars were created in August of '66 (not sure the Gold Duke is even a thing beyond that one in the Bacon book). The Corvette I posted was still blue at that point, so would not have influenced their creation.

A couple of FilterTron's, a Bigsby, sound post & a Tru-Arc and it'd be killer..

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

A guaranteed way to spoil a double anniversary. A 'soundpost' ??? Archtops aren't meant to have soundposts That's a reissue gretsch invention It shouldn't even be called a soundpost, it has nothing to do with the violin type soundpost. It should be called cheap top insurance, feedback suppresser and acoustic property killer. waaah! Hilotrons sound great and these guitars are best when they're wide open. Otherwise you might as well own a solidbody. I feel strongly about this! I do agree about the bigsby but that's about it Poor double anniversary, parted out for no reason!

Now THIS pisses me off. This color custom color Annie is being parted out! I told ya it was blue under those hardware bits.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gr...

– kc_eddie_b

Total parts weasel. Should we be thinking of boycotting these types of people? I know I'm not going to buying from him. This was a perfectly good Annie and of historical significance.

That's bizarre. Parts weasels are nothing if not opportunistic, and I'm shocked that one wouldn't see more potential $$$ in a rare custom colored guitar like this than a couple of HiloTrons and other bits.

But I guess if swinging a hammer is all you know, everything looks like a nail.

I asked the seller why they were breaking it up for parts. Did it need a neck reset?

They responded " We're a parts and projects store, see the ad for for condition and description."

We all (myself included) can moan about it but nobody (myself included) stepped up to purchase it originally. We all (myself included) can now collectively kick ourselves!

It's unfortunate that the original seller's pictures weren't as clear and detailed as the guitar cannibal listing the parts currently - I would have considered bidding but as they were it was too difficult for me to gauge the overall condition.

If I was in the US would have been so tempted. I love old metallic finishes.

I just sold my old Kay jazz ii for less than parts value. Vintage 50s early 60s Bigsby, Grover’s and Kleenex box pickups. The market is super slow here

We all (myself included) can moan about it but nobody (myself included) stepped up to purchase it originally. We all (myself included) can now collectively kick ourselves!

It's unfortunate that the original seller's pictures weren't as clear and detailed as the guitar cannibal listing the parts currently - I would have considered bidding but as they were it was too difficult for me to gauge the overall condition.

– Jeff H

Guitar cannibal. That is so the right word for these creeps.

Here is another one that I found in Stockholm 1999. The seller said it was from 1969 but I never checked the serial nr so we can't be sure about that.

Hey everybody. Just wanted to let you know this story has a more or less happy ending. I ended up buying this guitar and everything he parted out minus the tuners, which weren’t original anyway. I got some Van Ghents instead.

I’d rather not have rewarded the attempted destruction of this piece of history but I am honored to be able to preserve it at least, before it was too late forever. And bring her back to Brooklyn to boot. I’m really floored by how gorgeous it is in person and looking forward to getting it back in working order asap. I lived for a few years around the corner from the old factory so I’ve had Gretsch on the brain for a long time but this is my first.

I’ve soldered in pickups before but never worked on a hollow body. Would anyone be so kind as to point me to the appropriate wiring diagram for this model?

Good news indeed Greens. Congratulations; would love to see pics when you have it all back together.

That is a happy ending. Keep us posted greens.

I think this is what you're looking for. This is from TV jones but it's basically the same I would use coax as gretsch originally did

Great to hear greens. Yes, please keep us posted.

Welcome to the GDP. You’re off to a great start. Please keep us informed. Our mantra - pics or it didn’t happen!

Welcome, and thanks for rescuing that sweet Gretsch!!

Thanks everybody for the kind words. And thanks toxophilite for the diagram. I actually bought the original harness and it is intact so that makes things a lot easier. The pickup selector switch is the one closest to the neck? And the bridge volume is the knob closest to the tailpiece? You can see I’m at the start of the Gretsch learning curve.

Here is a pic of the tailpiece restored at least.

Oops here is the pic

One troubling thing: the strap peg is at a weird angle and I figure it must be damaged from shipping. I’m guessing this will be difficult to impossible to fix. Has anyone encountered this before? It feels pretty rigid for better or worse.

Yes. Undo the knob. Get two nuts that fit the shaft. Lubricate all three. Tighten the nuts against each other onto the shaft and you should be able to remove the shaft. Use a small maple dowel and some filler for the hole. Re-drill the hole and reverse the process. You've got the right layout for the harness controls. Good on you to resurrect this Annie.

Greens! You're our hero! Can't wait to see you bring her back to playing condition!

Great thanks, that’s the info I needed. I’ve recently used that trick to install abr1 bridge posts.

Register Sign in to join the conversation