Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1966 Annie in factory gold*

Just a PSA... this Annie is a legitimate factory custom finished guitar. Although it looks more like shoreline gold now, it was originally blue! I've documented another (the next serial number) that shows more of the original hue. This one in the Ebay sale is completely faded to gold. If you like rare vintage Gretsch guitars... this is one!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vi...

A close look at the holes in the top of the tailpiece reveal a peek at the blue underneath.

Here's what that guitar is going to look like under the hardware! This photo is from the other example I've documented.

Blue fades to gold??? That's a new one on me...

Gibson Pelham Blue faded to green... but someone here has to get this.

I remember this kind of fading from Ed's earlier post. It almost has that greenish color the Platinum Grey Clippers turn to. Any sixties double Annie without binding rot under a grand is a deal. Ask for more pics of the binding; I think I see cracks.

Under a grand!

– crowbone

just starting bid. if it was buy it now I may put it on my credit card

Blue fades to gold??? That's a new one on me...

– ruger9

For blue they probably used 'silver' and in combination with the 'yellowed' top coat it may have a 'gold-ish' hue now.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust www.guitarsgalore.nl

Cool guitar! Kinda looks aspen green on my screen.

I'll need to dive into my database, but I could have sworn I've encountered a Corvette solid body with this same finish, also faded back to the gold/green.

Man... this would have been a really cool looking Vette with it's original metallic blue finish! Then again... the gold is quite striking too!

You guys with Aspen Green 5420T guitars might wanna look under your tailpieces!

I have a question, there was a comment about binding rot here, does anyone know if my 58 6120 that has no rot is past the time when it might develop? I sure hope so! Thanks

I have a question, there was a comment about binding rot here, does anyone know if my 58 6120 that has no rot is past the time when it might develop? I sure hope so! Thanks

– RCgold

I's like to think so. My '59 Gent has perfect binding, and I hope it stays that way. It's encouraging, but, no, I would say there are no guarantees.

I's like to think so. My '59 Gent has perfect binding, and I hope it stays that way. It's encouraging, but, no, I would say there are no guarantees.

– Afire

Thank you, that's two now, perhaps there was a better material at that time? RC

You can find rot on Gretsches from the fifties but it's rare. It usually starts with cracks in the binding.

My '58 6120 had rot. I think it's more about the conditions the guitar was exposed to than what kind of glue/celluloid was applied.

Aye,my first batch Gent has the beginnings of rot,but it hasn't gotten much worse than when i bought it 17 years ago!

Found it!

– kc_eddie_b

That started life as blue? That's crazy! Darned near looks like gold flake.

My '58 6120 had rot. I think it's more about the conditions the guitar was exposed to than what kind of glue/celluloid was applied.

– kc_eddie_b

Thanks, Brother had it out playing gigs for years, perhaps it would be better off out of the case rather than being a closet queen! (grin)

That started life as blue? That's crazy! Darned near looks like gold flake.

– Suprdave

Maybe that's the guitar that started the legend of the Gold Duke. At least as far as I know, it's still an unconfirmed legend.

For blue they probably used 'silver' and in combination with the 'yellowed' top coat it may have a 'gold-ish' hue now.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust www.guitarsgalore.nl

– Hans Moust

Yep. Silver powder/flake, and yellowed clear, with the blue dye apparently having faded away almost entirely. What you're left with is gold.

Register Sign in to join the conversation