Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1965 Country Club Stereo

For your enjoyment. I got this back from my luthier this week. It is a stereo Country Club built in 1965. Serial Number 81986. This type of guitar is mentioned in the catalog from 1965 ( Number 32 ). There is no picture, the text say : It is also availiable in Super Project-O-Sonic stereo.

Here is picture to compare the stereo Club from 1959 ( above ) to the one made in 1965.

Here is picture to compare the stereo Club from 1959 ( above ) to the one made in 1965.

– Ralf070158

Pretty guitars!

I thought all those stereo guitars came with project o sound pickups, though, not standard filtertrons. Were they removed?

Yes all stereo guitars came with project o sound pickups. The catalog only mentioned, that is possible to order the guitar with these option.

Hey Ralf... did your luthier document the pots on this Club? The serial number is pretty late for a 1965 model year. Most I've found from this range are dated Oct/Nov of '65... and some Jan. '66.

I love that you've hooked the rig up with the splitter-box, and are able to use it as it was intended! Very cool!

Hi Ed, I´m sorry, but at the moment I have no information about the pots.

Man I say honk that bad boy thru a pair of 1965 Gretsch 6150Ts

There is a reason for the pickup positions on the early Project-O-Sonic stereo guitars versus the newer versions. Originally, the P-O-S used a pickup which was only half a pickup in a full sized cover. On the older P-O-S Filter'Trons, notice the lack of polepiece screws on one side of the pickup (Ralf070158's picture of the two Country Clubs, above). Gretsch placed the pickups closer together so the bass and treble strings would be closer in tonality. The guitar was ostensibly a single pickup guitar. Later, Gretsch figured out that they could increase the variety of tones from the guitar by placing the two half pickups inside the same cover, that way you could have stereo AND two pickup tones. Notice the two separate leads coming from this 1969 White Falcon Stereo's pickup. As Gretsch's sales blurb touted, "54 tonal variations with the flip of a switch!"

Here's a close-up from an early '60s P-O-S Anniversary's Hi-Lo'Tron pickup. (Photo courtesy of Paul Setzer).

I owned a 1964 White Falcon back in the mid-70's. Its pickups looked just like your 65 Club and could be used as a mono or stereo guitar depending on the cord you used. It sounded great both ways. It had all the switches and knobs along the bottom of the body like yours, but of course had a body like the Gent. It had one major shortcoming that eventually led me to trade it away--no master volume knob. I was playing in a college stage band at the time. When the director would point to me for a solo (he was very spontaneous), there was no way to turn up my guitar if it wasn't loud enough. One too many times, it wasn't. I traded it to a good friend for a 1960 spruce top Country Club. It was a superior guitar in many ways and also much more appropriate for what I was playing at the time. I never regretted it except when I see the value of those Falcons today. Of course the single cuts are worth a lot more.

Duojet's explanation above is the difference between Gretsch's "Project-o-Sonic" stereo and Gretsch's "Super Project-o-Sonic" stereo as designated in the catalogs.

Register Sign in to join the conversation