Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1964 Gretsch 6118 in Action over the weekend - 10 - 28 - 2018 :)

I went to a pre- Halloween Party, Sat. night, which, there was a lot of jamming, so, I brought my newly acquired 1964 Gretsch 6118 Double Anniversary, with the Hi-Lo Tron pups, plugged it into a Reissue BF Twin Reverb that was there and Bingo! :)

Lot's of costumes and other ,,,

I was, "The Dark Eyed Spy" ,, :)

"Dr. Gretsch" :)

Nice playing. Looks like everyone was having a great time.

Love that Hilo sound!

The Hendrix move was a nice touch. I find myself liking HiLos more and more lately. Looks like a good time for all.

Hilos seem to sound different in a deeper-bodied guitar than in the shallow Tennessean. Gives them a bit more ... body.

Got me thinkin’.

You sound great, your guitar sounds fantastic and so does the band.

Isn't it funny how if a pretty girl is dancing in front of us a fire gets lit in our souls and our playing becomes more energized? I know it happens to me.

Hilos seem to sound different in a deeper-bodied guitar than in the shallow Tennessean. Gives them a bit more ... body.

Got me thinkin’.

– Proteus

I dunno about that Proteus.

I respect your opinion on all things tone around here but I have to say that after recently acquiring a '60 6117 and playing it right after my 2017 6119-62HT with the TV Jones Hilos they both have a VERY similar sound.

Both sound awesome and both sound characteristically Gretsch.

I don't know if a deeper bodied Anni would justify the purchase if you already have a Hilo equipped Tenny. But that said you don't need to justify it anyway. You should have a Anni with Hilos.

You've influenced me to make some recordings of both guitars. Same amp, same mic, etc. Maybe do some blindfold testing here on the GDP?

Geoffrey, that guitar sounds fantastic! I file any of your posts playing this guitar into the pro side of the argument that Hilos don't cut through in a band situation. Which used to be a shared opinion on these forums.

Only had time for a few quick glimpses, but I thought I heard a bit of the Stones' Spider and The Fly.

I dunno about that Proteus.

I respect your opinion on all things tone around here but I have to say that after recently acquiring a '60 6117 and playing it right after my 2017 6119-62HT with the TV Jones Hilos they both have a VERY similar sound.

Both sound awesome and both sound characteristically Gretsch.

I don't know if a deeper bodied Anni would justify the purchase if you already have a Hilo equipped Tenny. But that said you don't need to justify it anyway. You should have a Anni with Hilos.

You've influenced me to make some recordings of both guitars. Same amp, same mic, etc. Maybe do some blindfold testing here on the GDP?

– captainvideo

I would have to say that to some extent I agree with this. I have put hilotrons on several different hollowbodies ( as they are my favourite gretsch pickups) and they all sound pretty similar. Close enough that I don't feel I have to adjust my playing or accommodate for sonic variances as I do with guitars with different pickups.

-Have them on my 64 tennessean ( yay!)

-Then on a 64-65 Anniversary which sounded the most different but I'm pretty sure that was as much about the fact it's action was higher due to neck difficulties and it had VERY low break angle over the bridge. (It was a little duller sounding as expected)

• Then I put them on my 64 thin club restoration and it sounded remarkably like the tennessean

• Then on a 88 Yamaha AE-1200S (solid top full depth body L-5 copy) and it sounded like my tennessean

• Finally on my 55 Convertible and it sounds my tennessean

Basically they all sound like they have hilotron pickups. Big , clear, acousticy with a sweet top end and plenty of bottom.

There are subtle differences, perhaps the big bodies and the microphonic nature of surface mounted low gain pickups impart some characteristics of the body to the sound. I'm certainly willing to accept that but it's not a very significant difference.

But this could also be as easily and more likely attributed to the fact that the pickups aren't mounted in the exact same positions relative to the bridge as the tennessean, which makes a HUGE difference as to what they're picking up especially with the bridge pickup. In some cases they're farther apart being on longer scale guitars.

I have the 52 electro and the 55 convertible and they both have 55ish era necks, both full size bodies of the same depth with spruce lam tops and maple lam back and sides, rosewood boards, long scale, bigsbys custom bridges And they sound very different, largely because of the pickups.

To the OP it looks like you're having a blast and enjoying your guitar, Have at 'er!

The Hendrix move was a nice touch. I find myself liking HiLos more and more lately. Looks like a good time for all.

– Baba Joe

Although Hendrix use to use that move, it really came from the black bands in the 40's & 50's that played on the "Chittlin' Circuit"(black clubs across the South and East Coast). Find an old T-Bone Walker video or old Buddy Guy video and you'll see that move alot.

Not only that, I'm not sure if Hendrix ever did the splits simultaneously.

Thanks guys ,,

Played a few more gigs with the Annie over the weekend and yes, in different situations, amps, it sounds great :)

Sounded great last night with a 70's Musicman 12" at one of the venues ,,

I stand corrected. That T-Bone move is incredible. Thanks Don and Jim.

Here are a few more clips of my 64 Annie from this last weekend : )

Register Sign in to join the conversation