Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1963 6120 knobs - question about this guitar

Browsing Reverb and saw this 6120 - I know little about Gretsches but have never seen this knob configuration before - with three knobs at the back and what looks like a switch on the front treble bout ???

Educate me please

If that's a switch at the lower cutaway it's not original. Should be the master volume but maybe it's a pot just missing the knob. Hard to tell. Pickguard and bridge are not original and so ain't the Bigsby. Should have the V-style B6. This is a B3. The switch near the 3 pots is for the string mute and stock.

The knob furthest to the rear should be a stand by switch.

The mute lever, as noted, is in the correct place, but is missing the red felt around the base.

The rest Sascha covered above.

I would add that I looked at the reverb listing and the tuners are not original and the guitar is missing the nitrocelluse white back screw on cover, back pad snaps and the back pad. You can see the small holes if you look closely.

The only potential plus in terms of the the modifications is that the B3 Bigsby looks to be late 50s vintage and so is actually perhaps worth more than the usual Gretsch V-cut Bigsby.

The mods knock the price down. There's plenty of unmodded and complete DC 6120's out there that should hold their value so I'd pass on this one.

Price is too high but might sell seeing as how the seller is in France. Around NA it might sell for half the price IMO.

It looks to me like the kill switch and the master volume pots have just switched places...

It looks to me like the kill switch and the master volume pots have just switched places...

– Gretschguy69

You could be right about that. In looking at the listing it shows the onset of binding rot which adversely affects the value to anyone in the know.

Thanks everyone.... I know enough about Gretsches to be dangerous ....

My first thought was ... maybe the master volume knob fell off and the photographer just stuck it on the kill switch

Could be more issues and the rot is expensive to replace. Tough to judge without having it in hand or looked at by a top luthier.

Browsing Reverb and saw this 6120 - I know little about Gretsches but have never seen this knob configuration before - with three knobs at the back and what looks like a switch on the front treble bout ???

Educate me please

– irishbrian1969

looks like someone moved the Master Vol. to the lower end and moved the Standby switch up to where the master was. Might have been more Convenient for them..

Register Sign in to join the conversation