Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1962 6120 Tuning Gears

Hello, new to the page. I have a friend who passed away and his family needs help with some information on this guitar . 1962 6120 Sunset Orange. All mint original, except for maybe the tuners. Can anyone tell me if they are Original. From some other pics I see they might not be. Will this affect the value?

Those are Hofner tuners (tip of the hat to DuoJet55) which were used on 70's Gretsches. Any modification will lessen the value of a vintage guitar. Are you sure this is a '62 6120? Post a few pics here and we can tell you for sure - one pic per post and include some text too.

Yeah, if it's mint condition, then the tuners probably wouldn't have been changed, so I'm thinking it's a later one, not a '62.

Thank you, lx! The orange ("Amber Red", actually) finished '70s Chet Atkins Nashville is actually a 7660, not a 6120. Later versions of the Nashville were red stain and later still, the parts were chrome instead of gold (Bigsby was always polished aluminum on the 6120/7660). A few nice pix of your guitar would be helpful in dating it.

Here is a pic of the headstock. serial # 49xxx. according to the Gretsch chart it's a 62. The paperwork is very Old. Original one-owner was a dealer and bought direct from gretsch. if it was a reissue, when did they re-issue them?

Here's a pic of the back. serial number is also on the back of the headstock. #49xxx

sorry i mixed up the photos. here is the headstock

Yours is an April 1969 6120 Nashville, made in the Brooklyn factory. The 6120 "Chet Atkins Hollowbody Electric" wasn't renamed the "Chet Atkins Nashville" until '66. By then the sequential serial number system gave way to the Month/Year/Ranking (i.e., number of units produced that month) system. I had a 1969 Streamliner with the doghouse tuners like these, so I believe the ones on this guitar are original.

I think you're right. I found a 69 on Reverb and it has the same tuners and everything matches. Thanks for your input. I'll post some better pictures when I get the guitar in hand from my friend wife. it's in mint condition.

The condition looks really good. Not entirely clear yet is the condition of the binding (known for deterioration issues for instruments from around that time--although the heel cover from afar looks positive). If you put up more pics try and be sure to get some that allow the binding to be clearly evaluated.

That's a nice one. Please post it for sale on this site, first.

The condition looks really good. Not entirely clear yet is the condition of the binding (known for deterioration issues for instruments from around that time--although the heel cover from afar looks positive). If you put up more pics try and be sure to get some that allow the binding to be clearly evaluated.

– knavel

Hard tell from the pix posted thus far, but it does seem like there might be some edge "shading" adjacent to the binding on the top and back. Could be nothing... but underlines the need for a clear assessment on that. Best of luck... cool guitar!

Finally got around to getting this guitar checked out and serviced. Determined it is a 1969 model 6120. fully serviced and restrung. frets polished and cleaned switches and pots. some minor binding cracks throughout but it's clean and plays like a dream. trying to figure out value. need to sell

Does look like a very nice example! You might have binding cracks - not from rot - on the neck binding due to the method of installation back in the day. This was common on guitars of that era and is entirely different from rot which was created by the glue used at the time.

Others around here should be able to offer a price range for your guitar.

Beautiful WindsorDave can you explain the method they used to put binding back in the day ? And I got the feeling that one ply binding doesn’t show rot as usual on the 4 ply bindings, maybe they used other type of glue on this 6120, seems immaculate :)

Register Sign in to join the conversation