Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1962 6120 on CL

Just ran across this sans pickups and harness, looks to be in good shape. no afil

Link

Not bad. You might be able to get some decent bucks for the Gibson pickups as well.

The D-shaped access panel makes me wonder if it might have trestle bracing. Setzer's '62 club also had that access panel and trestles. I haven't seen them on an Electrotone Gent or 6120, but I wouldn't be surprised if such a thing exists.

For the detail obsessed, one minor construction difference between '62 Gents and 6120s is that the back binding goes all the way around the neck heel, including behind the heel cap.

'62:

'63:

The D-shaped access panel makes me wonder if it might have trestle bracing. Setzer's '62 club also had that access panel and trestles. I haven't seen them on an Electrotone Gent or 6120, but I wouldn't be surprised if such a thing exists.

For the detail obsessed, one minor construction difference between '62 Gents and 6120s is that the back binding goes all the way around the neck heel, including behind the heel cap.

'62:

'63:

– Afire

Please say it again... I'm not following you on the difference between the two photos(?).

I think he meant "black binding" which on the '62 continues across the heel cap.

There is a strip of black and white binding put on the body just below the neck pocket before the neck is joined; you can see the black strip on the '62 but not on the '63. Nice catch BTW.

That's a fairly clean 6120 too. Get a pair of Butts Filters and harness and you'd have a great player.

There is a strip of black and white binding put on the body just below the neck pocket before the neck is joined...

Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Not the greatest picture, but it's a little bit easier to see on a '62 Gent.

'62:

'63:

– Afire

My '62 6120 had the D-shaped access panel but no sign of trestle bracing.

And it exhibited the aforementioned binding under the heelcap, a detail I had not been hip to previously.

Register Sign in to join the conversation