Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1961 #6122 Project-o-Sonic

OK... so why do some Project-O-sonics have only 2 switches instead of 4? Is there a link to what those 4 switches actually do?

– DaveH

I think the answer lies within the pickups.

The ones on Curt's Falcon look quite normal to all appearances, however I've seen other stereo pickups having only three pole pieces each. One pickup for the bottom three, another for the top three.

Perhaps the difference is that this style was called Project-O-Sonic, and those Falcons were called Stereo.

Both of these are 1958 examples.

Stereo.

– Curt Wilson

Man, I always wanted a "Neil Young" Gretsch White Falcon. Probably because I've been a fan/admirer since July of 1966 when I saw The Springfield at the Hollywood Bowl and then loved his first solo LP. Most of that record sounded like he went straight into the tube mixing desk and a Fairchild 660 Compressor/Limiter. Now I can get close with my `60 Gent and a Janglebox into my Fender brown Princeton and I loved the fuzz on that record too.

I always wondered if there was a switch over time from the two pickups with only 1/2 being used to the full size pickups and 4 switches. To me they use 4 bobbins in each pickup in the 4-switch model. Two sets of bobbins for humbucking. But there seems to be an overlap as with the Gent we're seeing POS guitar well into 1961 and we see the 4-switch types in that era as well.. Ed.. any info on these? Thanks!

Unicorn indeed. One of one, I would suspect. And I thought mine was near mint. That one is next level. On mine, the finish is flawless, but the wear on the plating tells you that it saw plenty of use in its previous life. For the plating to be that bright, that one must have hardly have been played at all.

– Afire

Kind of a one-of-one... but here's another "stereo" Gent from the same #417xx batch (slightly earlier). Fascinating to see that it's got the other stereo arrangement. Two Gents less than 20 serial numbers away from each other and they have different versions of the stereo feature. I LOVE GRETSCH GUITARS!!

And... since we're on the topic, here's a '63 Gent with the same stereo rig.

OK... so why do some Project-O-sonics have only 2 switches instead of 4? Is there a link to what those 4 switches actually do?

– DaveH

I made a fairly detailed explanation of the different types of stereo switch operation in post #3 HERE.

Perhaps the difference is that this style was called Project-O-Sonic, and those Falcons were called Stereo.

– crowbone

The models with the 4-switch setup were originally marketed as "Super Project-O-Sonic."

It seems to me that, other than these custom order examples, the four switch Super Project-O-Sonic stereo was reserved for the Falcons, while Penguins, Clubs and Anniversaries generally got the standard Project-O-Sonic arrangement.

Kind of a one-of-one... but here's another "stereo" Gent from the same #417xx batch (slightly earlier). Fascinating to see that it's got the other stereo arrangement. Two Gents less than 20 serial numbers away from each other and they have different versions of the stereo feature. I LOVE GRETSCH GUITARS!!

– kc_eddie_b

Those block inlays hurt my eyes. But considering it was a custom order, I suppose it's possible that they're original. Still. No thanks.

They should have made a stereo Bikini

Still this is some righteous stuff here.

Those block inlays hurt my eyes. But considering it was a custom order, I suppose it's possible that they're original. Still. No thanks.

– Afire

I know about the blocks.. mine had small squares on the fingerboard and I couldn't deal with it. Might have been a different thing if whomever replaced the fingerboard had done the fret placement right above the 12th fret. But it simply would not play in-tune say from the 14th fret up... But since Curt replaced the board and used the "Gretsch Correct" inlays, the guitar is a force to be reckoned with.. I have a Compton bridge on it and I've found the best way to tune the guitar is use the Petersen clip-on tuner on "Acoustic" guitar mode! It plays as good as it's going to get without installing a Tune-o-matic.

Register Sign in to join the conversation