Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1961 #6122 Project-o-Sonic

A friend of mine dropped by today. He's brokering a collection for a mutual late friend who passed last August. One of the guitars he brought is a Single cutaway #6122 Country Gent with Project-o-Sonic Stereo! The guitar is damn near mint, just a little wear on the gold plating on the bass side of the pickup covers and bar bridge. You can tell it's the original finish as it's sunk into the grain of the wood. Serial # 41722. Body is only 1 7/8" thick at the edge. Mine is 2.25". The nut width is 1.68" as is mine. I always thought the Gent's from this era were suppose to be 1.70" or even 1.75" I will get some photos up in the next day. It doesn't have the Cowboy case like mine, but has the nice Deluxe case that's equally as mint..

Yow! Now that's the very description of a Gretsch Unicorn.

Why oh why oh why are those project o sonic pickups placed so closely together?

It's not just on this particular model, it occurs on every one I've seen.

Can Ed Ball or some other expert explain why they used this configuration, and can this be corrected by adding a third pickup?

The whole aim was to have a pup for bass strings and a pup for treble strings. I assume they wanted to get the pups as close together as possible to mitigate the tonal difference between bridge and neck. If they used the regular placement the difference would be too stark.

The whole aim was to have a pup for bass strings and a pup for treble strings. I assume they wanted to get the pups as close together as possible to mitigate the tonal difference between bridge and neck. If they used the regular placement the difference would be too stark.

– Deke Martin

I figured it may be something like that, and never have heard this stereo configuration, I can't say if that's a good thing or not.

Deke, have you played one before?

I see Country Clubs(many examples for sale) in a stereo configuration, that are otherwise great guitars, but cosmetically, I find it hard to get past.

I agree, it does look odd.

No, never played one, but about 30 years ago I rewound a pick-up in a Strat so the bass strings came out separately so I could run those through an octave dropper when playing finger style.

It kinda worked, but not as well as I was hoping. Would probably have been better without the octave dropper.

Nice axe! I’m curious about the body depth being shallower than a non-POS example?? The atypical pickup placement has a sonic justification, but I don’t see the body depth being a relevant feature to a stereo set-up.

I figured it may be something like that, and never have heard this stereo configuration, I can't say if that's a good thing or not.

Deke, have you played one before?

I see Country Clubs(many examples for sale) in a stereo configuration, that are otherwise great guitars, but cosmetically, I find it hard to get past.

– crowbone

Not only look but you lose the grit being so far raw from the confounded bridge. They built stereo falcons with normal pickup spacing, you can always tell by the four switches.

Unicorn indeed. One of one, I would suspect. And I thought mine was near mint. That one is next level. On mine, the finish is flawless, but the wear on the plating tells you that it saw plenty of use in its previous life. For the plating to be that bright, that one must have hardly have been played at all.

OK... so why do some Project-O-sonics have only 2 switches instead of 4? Is there a link to what those 4 switches actually do?

Interesting guitar that.

Not only look but you lose the grit being so far raw from the confounded bridge. They built stereo falcons with normal pickup spacing, you can always tell by the four switches.

– Curt Wilson

So getting the premium sound and PU placement only came when you bought the premium model?

Sheet... I'm goin mud boggin'...

Register Sign in to join the conversation