Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1961 6120 Restored… or Fake????

It could be a re-made '69 Annie; those had 22 (and zero) frets and bound f-holes but the label makes everything highly suspect

My guess also is that this once was an Anniversary. Take a closer look at the f-holes: They definitely look re-shaped from the slightly different but typical Annie style. Our own Shuggie once did a makeover project and the whole process was released via guitar.com for those who missed it. Here's the link: https://guitar.com/guides/d...

The picture is from this article. Compare the shapes.

There was never an anniversary that was constructed like that. The 1961 6120 was unique in its construction and only produced for one year.

Uh, okay. Still the holes look funny to me.

There was never an anniversary that was constructed like that. The 1961 6120 was unique in its construction and only produced for one year.

– JBGretschGuy

That's what has me convinced. I can't think of a single other model that this could have started life as, with 2 1/4" deep single cutaway body, mortise and tenon joint with dowel in the cutaway and wide heel that is flush with the cutaway. Maybe I'm overlooking something, but I don't think so.

Uh, okay. Still the holes look funny to me.

– sascha

This thread got me to looking at the f-holes on a bunch of late '50s, early '60s 6120s, and perhaps unsurprisingly, they are not consistently one shape. They're all slightly different.

JB and Afire have me convinced that it is a 1961 6120...with (as JB indicated) "a lot of work done". The thing that convinced me the most is that nobody that had any guitar counterfeiting skills would've left that "relabeled label" in there. That's just messed up.

The price seems high to me, but then I love to see vintage 6120's in any condition pulling down big bucks since I ain't planning to buy one! (Ha! I've already got 2!) I do like the 1955 6120 on eBay (from Japan again - link below)....for a couple of grand more than the one that inspired this thread...with a tweed Gretsch case...hmmmm....maybe I COULD use a third one......

[Link]

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gr...)

This thread got me to looking at the f-holes on a bunch of late '50s, early '60s 6120s, and perhaps unsurprisingly, they are not consistently one shape. They're all slightly different.

– Afire

In my long study of the 6120 i have found an evolution of the F hole shape and size. (yes my lifes work finally matters here on the GDP HAHA)

My conclusions are they got a bit smaller over time.

The earliest 55's from 1694XX batch have these huge oversized F holes. Unique to their build and batch.

By 59' they were trimmed down a good bit. They varied, bet less so after 60.

This guitar in question is a nicely boogered up 61' 6120. Been apart and put back together, refinished in some areas etc. Its a great 3500/4500 guitar at best.

Register Sign in to join the conversation