Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1960 Anniversary Restoration Pt 5

TonyB and Danman recently posted pictures of the trestle bracing in their 6120s - heavy and light. So it thought I should let you know that Pt 5 of my 1960 Anniversary restoration/conversion has just been published in the UK Guitar & Bass Magazine.

In this issue I cover re-veneering the top with highly figured quilted maple and doing the f-hole binding. Thanks to TonyB and Danman I was also able to cover the installation of light trestle braces.

It will be another few weeks before this issue arrives overseas but I dare say it will be posted on our website in the coming months. If you would like to see the article sooner, you can order it from the website.

http://www.guitar-bass.net

Trestles made from a century old floorboard

And all back together. The body binding is now complete too and I'm planning to complete the neck re-set between Christmas and New Year.

Figuring out how to retrofit trestle bracing was 'interesting' to say the least but it was a lot of fun and the added weight is less than 100g. The body sounds really live and ringy so I have high hopes it might actually sound good as a guitar.

As a subscriber I always look forward to the progress reports, cracking work.

Those trestles look great Shuggie! And I love the articles! I can't wait for the next one!

Very interesting. This is going to be a great guitar.

Hope so BJ - I've put enough work into it...

And Danman, you know I couldn't have got this far without your help.

Is there really so little wood in the neck tenon?

Wow! Looks like you're on your way to a fabulous looking guitar, Shuggie! Beautiful work!

Wow, when you're done with that you'll have the cleanest-built vintage Gretsch in the world!

Great work, Huw! That reminds me, I need to re-up my subscription.

Thats some fantastic work Huw!!!!!! I had no idea you were a luthier as well!!!! huge kudos!

Thats some fantastic work Huw!!!!!! I had no idea you were a luthier as well!!!! huge kudos!

– paul pigat

Great point -- Huw is a very talented luthier as well as a gifted writer!!

Thanks fellas. Glad you're enjoying it.

The really tricky part was re-veneering the top but my friend Patrick did that for me and I'm going to get him to re-set the neck too.

In the past I have done a few neck sets but the results have never been quite perfect and what might be tolerable on a Stew Mac acoustic kit doesn't do justice to a vintage Gretsch in my view.

Weirdly the guitar arrived with a really steep back angle which, means the bridge has to be set crazy high to achieve playability. And of course nothing is quite square. Could be a fiddly job.

BTW Walter I don't know about that, you haven't seen my spray work

The neck block area is vastly improved now and I'm amazed at how light the trestle structure is for something so substantial in appearance and profound in effect- 100g/3.5oz is very little.

That new top is really going to pop when it's had some finish.

Been really enjoying this project.

Wow! Can't wait to see this finished!

BTW Walter I don't know about that, you haven't seen my spray work

Ha! Well, one thing did cross my mind when looking at your pictures : I'd be testing on scraps for ever before I'd have the nerve to put stain on that pretty maple veneer!!! (not trying to make your nervous, haha)

Believe me Walter, I've already started

haha! I do believe you! You don't want watered down tomato soup, and you don't want fluorescent orange either....

That said, an amber-tinted natural finish would look sweet on that guitar too!

Are you going for a 2 pickup 6120 look? If so, you should have plugged the switch hole before veneering and re-drilled in correct areas after. No biggie, but to geeks it will show.

Are you going for a 2 pickup 6120 look? If so, you should have plugged the switch hole before veneering and re-drilled in correct areas after. No biggie, but to geeks it will show.

– JazzBoxJunky

I think he's going for the hotrod look. Just a three position switch and a master volume.

Register Sign in to join the conversation