Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1960 Anniversary Conversion (photos) (updated)

I'm curious to know how the stainless Tru-Arc Serpentune goes on this guitar, I'm thinking about something like that for my Annie

I'm curious to know how the stainless Tru-Arc Serpentune goes on this guitar, I'm thinking about something like that for my Annie

– Doppler

If you have the original Space Control bridge, a Tru-Arc will produce a slightly wider frequency response, give a little more sustain, and make it easier to get in tune if it is the Serpentune model. I had a ST one on my other Annie. The new one should be here today or tomorrow and after comparing it to this brass one, I'll post my impressions.

From past experience, identical bridges on guitars with different construction don't necessarily respond the same.

Great job Journeyman, I'm anxious to see how the Ebony fingerboard looks with the new inlays. I personally prefer block inlays over the thumbnails, especially in low light situations. I can certainly understand your desire to replace the Rosewood board, it's getting a bit stressful with the new restrictions on Rosewood. I've read a lot of horror stories about guitars being confiscated, especially right after the restrictions were in place.

I have a question about the original thumb inlays, are they celluloid ? I mean plastic ? Or real mother of pearl ? Thanks :)

They were advertised as being real MOP.

I have a question about the original thumb inlays, are they celluloid ? I mean plastic ? Or real mother of pearl ? Thanks :)

– petit professeur

I personally wouldn't know, but I'll go with the original advertisment that said MOP.

A couple of updates: After visiting another tech, on his advice I've decided to keep the rosewood fingerboard. It will be radiused properly, get a refret, a new set of thumbnail markers, and have a new nut installed. It seems that removing the fingerboard and installing a new one is no small feat, and he said that he could work with the existing one. The difference in expense is substantial.

On another note, the stainless steel Serpentune arrived today and I replaced the brass one that was on the guitar. To my ear, the brass was warmer sounding. The stainless seems to produce a less colored tone and has a tiny bit more high frequency response. Both sound good, but I like the brass, so might have it chrome plated.

When it's finally finished, I'll post a short video.

The refret is underway, and we've decided to salvage the original thumnail markers. One is very thin, with a bit of wood showing at the edge, but the tech will try to mask the appearance with a tiny bit of filler. They won't be visible from the player's point of vision, so we going to add some small dots in the edge. i should probably just learn to play without looking at the guitar anyway, as my eyesight is not what it used to be, especially for close viewing.

Another pic. You can see the one marker with the wood showing through at the edge.

Glad you're keeping the rosewood board, I think that's the best decision.

Should end up looking really good.

Fingers crossed, might have it by tomorrow.

Kind of surprised you didn’t swap out the inlays. There should have been plenty of depth left in the fingerboard to deepen the routes and install new ones that could be seen from the side.

That said...thta is going to be a killer guitar!

There is a lot more to pickup output than just the D.C. resistance. You have to figure in Inductance, capacitance & magnet strength as well as the A.C. Resistance. FilterTron’s have a very low capacitance so sound clearer. The magnet is 1/4” thick and is Alnico V and creates a lot of energy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation