Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1959 Gretsch Tennessean

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Gretsch 1959 Tennessean. I believe this is the right model. The one Chet is holding on his "Workshop" album with only a bridge pickup and red body. What I've always wondered is what kind of tone you could get with only a bridge pickup. Looks like it might be on the "trebly" side. But maybe not since you are picking "north" of the pickup. Lap steel and regular steel guitars sure get a mellow tone and their pickups are way back near the bridge. So if anybody has owned one or played one let us inquiring minds know how she sounds. THANKS, Steve

I had one and many others here also. I liked the sound and changed the mud caps so rolling off just a little high end did the trick to cut back on treble.

I have a 1960 and absolutely love it. My brother and I think it sounds quite close to his 59 6120, which is one of the finest rock and roll guitars I've ever heard. In my view (and this is definitely a YMMV), one pick up at the bridge is all you need and simple elegance as well.

Single pickup Gretsches are too often maligned as being half as good as a two pickup guitar. Nothing further from the truth. Buddy Mercury (check old threads for more info) should chime in soon as he's rightfully obsessed with Tennies.

I owned a 59 back in the day. I'm playing it in my avatar, I don't remember having too much treble in a bad way. You can control that with amp settings to suit your taste, but it won't sound like a neck pickup. The sound was very appealing. It just has its own sound. The workmanship on mine was outstanding, but that was the mid 70s. Still many of this era have survived in really good condition. Unfortunately, I traded mine away many years ago.

Single pickup Gretsches are too often maligned as being half as good as a two pickup guitar. Nothing further from the truth. Buddy Mercury (check old threads for more info) should chime in soon as he's rightfully obsessed with Tennies.

– lx

Amen to that! My ‘55 Streamliner, with a single neck pickup of course rather than the bridge pickup on the Tennessean, does everything and more, for my playing and recording needs anyway, that my double pickup Gretsch guitars do.

I sold my vintage 6120 and DuoJet because for me the single pickup Streamliner plays and sounds better than either of them.

My g6119-1959 gretsch is my main guitar but I never use the neck pickup on any of my guitars. I like trebly sounds but I don't think it is too trebly. I even once replaced the pickup to a t-armond but at the volumes we play it squealed if I came too close too my amp.

You can hear some video's on my youtube channel. These were shot in the rehearsal room any nothing was done with the sound afterwards.

https://www.youtube.com/pla...

Register Sign in to join the conversation