Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1959 6120 @ Guitar Center

I had the pleasure of playing my first 1959 at Guitar Center in Orem Utah today. It played amazing, no fret wear you could bend for days. Asking $8000. Everything looks original. I am very tempted to put this on layaway. The only thing that bugged me was whomever put the strings on had no idea what they were doing. Seems strange. The employees said it was on the web site. I will take some pics when info back tomorrow.

What a company! They list an $8K guitar and all they can say about it's condition is "great". They also have a Super Axe for sale they say is a '71. They didn't come out till '76. I know because I have the first one! Describing or rather lack of descriptive information and frequently enough it's inaccurate, appears to be a hallmark of GC.

Hopefully you can reserve it with a no-risk deposit while you sort out whether it's worth that much. Lots of pics will help the real experts here on vintage 6120's on what if any items may not be the real McCoy. You always bargain with these guys and if something isn't kosher, it gives you great bargaining power!

Typical Guitar Center... a classic vintage instrument they value at $8k, but they can't string it appropriately. Based on GC's track record for accuracy you'll want to get the serial number to be sure it's a '59 model year example (if it's got the V-style Bigsby, it probably isn't). Some dealers seem to think that every old Gretsch they have is a '59.

Good advice. It had the old style bigsby. I think the serial number was 33736 if I remember right. I will try to get pics Monday night. I believe it's the real deal. If anyone here is interested. No fret wear you could bend for days. I wish I could buy this right now, but I am starting my own business and the timing is off.

Another strange thing, the salesman said a guy just walked in and sold it to them. This guitar was on our local crews list here for 14k a while back. He listed it as having chets autograph on the pickgaurd. It's very suspicious to me

Asking 8K means GC paid 5K or if it’s on consignment maybe 6K.

Something isn’t right but then again maybe they don’t know what they have.

Well #33736 is in fact a '60 model year example. I've documented that particular guitar before, and got the data-point from a Japanese dealer, so perhaps it has some miles on it.

Well #33736 is in fact a '60 model year example. I've documented that particular guitar before, and got the data-point from a Japanese dealer, so perhaps it has some miles on it.

– kc_eddie_b

Any chance you know how to get a hold of him? I have a bad feeling about this guitar being stolen.

These seem to work well

I wish I could make this work. Someone here should get it.

Not going to last long at that price.

Very cool. Something looks a little funky to me with the bridge base, but that's picayune.

Tempting, especially with that 1959 look (no Gretsch V-cut). I wonder if it's 2.5'' or 2.75'' thick.

Ah yes... now that IS a '59 model year 6120! That will be a 2.75" body depth.

Do I see see a heel fracture there?

Otherwise thats a good one for sure

Beautiful guitar! But the way those strings are wrapped around the Bigsby is cringe worthy.

Do I see see a heel fracture there?

Otherwise thats a good one for sure

– Gasmoney

Yeah there's something going on there. The heel cap has been removed and some clear has been sprayed, I think it's all from a reset.

Beautiful guitar! But the way those strings are wrapped around the Bigsby is cringe worthy.

– Mike2000

C'mon.. cut them some slack... The 22-yr. Old GC "guitar tech" has probably only ever re-strung Kahler and Floyd Rose tailpieces... A Bigsby might seem like a challenge to him.

That skunk stripe looks odd to me. It seems too far to the left at the top, yet too far to the right at the bottom, thus suggesting it is crooked. Yet it's central at the heel. So is the headstock crooked...? It's not a huge deal and may be nothing more than cellphone lens distortion, but it leapt right out at me so is worth mentioning.

It does look peachy, but I am also wary of the legitimacy of it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation