Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1959-60 Jet Firebirds: What Do You Know About . . .

No factory Bigsby's in '59 and/or '60 on Jets. All g-cut tailpieces (short one).

No factory Bigsby's in '59 and/or '60 on Jets. All g-cut tailpieces (short one).

– kc_eddie_b

Thanks! I gathered as much, but wanted to confirm. But . . . I'm assuming that one could special order a Jet with a Bigsby or certainly could add one later.

Correct! Gretsch would do pretty anything as a custom order, and Bigsby products were also available as aftermarket gear so anyone could add one.

The Butts F'tron is supposed to sound like the originals. Had a '63 Jet Firebird and the pups sounded identical to the blank top one in my '58 Streamliner; much hairier and more microphonic than all later versions -- much as I enjoy 'em.

The Butts F'tron is supposed to sound like the originals. Had a '63 Jet Firebird and the pups sounded identical to the blank top one in my '58 Streamliner; much hairier and more microphonic than all later versions -- much as I enjoy 'em.

– lx

Good to know about the Ray Butts! Of course, here I am planning ahead for these mods before the guitar is even in-hand. Probably should play it for awhile before making the mods. I am curious how the stock Gretsch Filters (HS Filters I believe) sound like . . .

Correct! Gretsch would do pretty anything as a custom order, and Bigsby products were also available as aftermarket gear so anyone could add one.

– kc_eddie_b

Any leads (besides eBay, Reverb and Blackrider) to find a period-correct Bigs B3?

So it’s just a duo jet but in red and black? Always thought the got a lot of mileage outta rebadging their range.

Love my firebird but it’s modern. Wish they’d do a faithful reissue including dynas

So it’s just a duo jet but in red and black? Always thought the got a lot of mileage outta rebadging their range.

Love my firebird but it’s modern. Wish they’d do a faithful reissue including dynas

Weird... I didn't start this thread???

– Vince_Ray

They did do a dyna Jet Firebird in the early 2000's. V-cut Bigsby, though, IIRC. Like this one (not mine)

https://reverb.com/item/340...

Weird... I didn't start this thread???

– kc_eddie_b

Tricone's response reads like s/he started the thread.

Tricone and I are in the same boat...I’m still looking for a period B3 for my 58/59.

Register Sign in to join the conversation