Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1958 White Penguin - David Gilmour Guitar Auction

Seems David Gilmour is cleaning house.
Will be interesting to watch. Link

Cool... but is it really “the largest and most comprehensive group of guitars ever brought to auction”??

Cool... but is it really “the largest and most comprehensive group of guitars ever brought to auction”??

– kc_eddie_b

Typical marketing hype.
But the money raised from the sale does go to various charities through his foundation, so points for that.

I’m kind of surprised by how low the LP is estimated compared to the strats....

Like WAAAY low. Is this a new auction tactic, under-pitch the likely selling price? Will that draw in more bidders, one or more of whom would never even try if the guitars were advertised at their likelier higher price, but will sign up hoping for a "deal" and then get caught up in bidding fever when the time comes?

Or is it so, no matter how it turns out, Christies can claim it was a great success?

The '69 is all provenance, of course (but hard to beat in that domain) - but surely the '54 0001 Strat and '55 goldtop would go over those estimated values with no Gilmour connection at all. Wouldn't they?

I hope he’s holding onto his ‘59ish Duo Jet. Love the solo he plays live from Comfortably Numb on that guitar!

Those prices are low and from what I've seen of high end auctions, they often use those price brackets as mere starting points.

Buyer's market. If you're rich enough. Prices at other auctions are low, I guess that gives dealers a chance . I follow a big auction site here in the UK and am surprised how low sales are, good bargains. But are they easy to sell on and make a profit? Not really. Obviously the Gilmour sale is a bit different!

Like WAAAY low. Is this a new auction tactic, under-pitch the likely selling price?

This has been standard operating procedure for as long as I've been paying attention to auction estimates. And not just for guitars. My guess is the primary purpose is to underpromise and overdeliver to make the auction look like a success. But it might also be to stimulate bidding as you suggest. Most of those drawn in by low estimates are going to fall by the wayside relatively quickly anyway, but I'd imagine an early frenzy of activity could lead to higher final prices.

Register Sign in to join the conversation