Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1958 Gretsch White Falcon Project-O-Sonic

I think it would bug me. Knowing what you've said about people modifying one guitar to fit the specs of another, more valuable guitar would make me seriously question it without a sticker. I suppose some of it would depend on how easy it would be to fake a Falcon. You've talked about 6190s being the basis for a lot of 6120 projects, and finding a 6120 without a label would make me question its authenticity. Would it be as easy to "reproduce" a White Falcon?

– Dinks

With the gold sparkle binding and unique headstock it would be quite a job to fake a 50s White Falcon. My bigger concern when I encounter a vintage Gretsch without a label is the prospect that it might have been stolen at some point. Again... makes me uncomfortable.

I find its very difficult to get everything just so with the vintage guitar thing, and if you do manage to get everything perfect, they are so damn precious that you can't really play and enjoy them. I have had a few 1960's Gibson ES 330's over the years, most came from the factory without a orange label and were just ink stamped inside. Even knowing that its perfectly normal not to have a label...i wanted one with a label! I don't for a minute think this Falcon is a fake, just no way, why fake a stereo guitar, surely a mono version would be more valuable. Labels fall out right? or maybe as a early prototype it never got one? I would go for the first option seeing as mine was hand changed to 6137.

Ah yes, i didn't consider stolen!

There is a strong possibility that the 1958 Stereo Falcon (with accompanying amps) on the Youtube link posted by Superaxe63 could be the same one as was sold a few years back by Rumbleseat.....I recall it was expensive at the time.

Yours

Drew

photo 1958GretschWhiteFalcon_zpsq3sp2ngn.jpg

Not many Superaxe63......probably the same instrument.

Yours

Drew

Thankfully, the sterling work put in by JackDaniels, Ed Ball, Fred Stuckey et al has made forging high dollar Gretsches substantially more difficult as we now know these things were built in batches. The downside is it makes us very wary of guitars with no labels.

I'm way late to this party, but this thing IS in the database, right?

I didn't see this one, but wow there are 3465 freaking guitars listed. Mucho gusto.

my 1960 white falcon is projectosonic and stereo a hosa stereo spliter and 2 cords work fine the lower bout switch is neck pickup both pickups bridge pickup just like a les paul the 4 switches on the upper bout control the pickups north/ south tre/bass

its quite easy once you get the hang of it and know which switch is which - >

Just for discussion sake... let's say that an all original, excellent condition 1958 White Falcon is worth $20k. What about one without it's label?

Being the geek that I am, that would drive me crazy. I had a '60 6120 for awhile without a label, and it just bugged the crap outta me. If I was buying, I would expect a discount on a guitar without it's label. Anyone else agree... or am I just being anal (again)?

– kc_eddie_b

60 falcons had the serial on the plate

Hey Pete... amazing axe! What batch is she from (first three digits of the serial number)?

Hey Pete... amazing axe! What batch is she from (first three digits of the serial number)?

– kc_eddie_b

It's in the database, Ed. 368xx

It is? I see two #368xx Falcons listed. One is an early double-cutaway, the other is a single-cutaway but with no mention of the stereo feature.

I'm not near my data so all I have to go by is the GDP list.

my 1960 white falcon is projectosonic and stereo a hosa stereo spliter and 2 cords work fine the lower bout switch is neck pickup both pickups bridge pickup just like a les paul the 4 switches on the upper bout control the pickups north/ south tre/bass

its quite easy once you get the hang of it and know which switch is which - >

– pete587

I generally prefer double cuts, but this one is a thing of beauty.

Sascha... You're right. I was looking at 6136 Falcons... this one is filed under 6137.

O.K.... we know how the switch on the lower bout works as a normal pickup selector, but how do the four switches on the upper bout work? Thanks!

Register Sign in to join the conversation