Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1958 Gretsch Corsair - a surprisingly great playing archtop

Some pics of the 58 Corsair. Plays real nice and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Glad it's a great player for you.

Enjoy!

Very nice! I like that it has binding on the neck and headstock.

It's got a real nice look and feel. The neck feels like an electric. All in all a very well built archtop. Plain but classy.

There was a thread many months ago about that batch. It was a transition batch that went to neo markers and cutaways. Several with a mix of features. It's times like this when it just kills me that I can't handle anything longer than the 24.6" scale. It probably has that lovely slim D shape neck. Glad you got a good one and enjoy the heck out of it!

Thanks @lx......It's a great playing old gal

No Affiliation with Seller.

Here's another one -- not as nice -- probably from the same batch. With a D shaped neck. Sigh.

Nice, looks like fun to play. Congratulations.

Classy axe, crush. Perfect for a sunburst, too. Glad it plays well!

Noth'in funner than a great action acoustic archtop, congrats!

No Affiliation with Seller.

Here's another one -- not as nice -- probably from the same batch. With a D shaped neck. Sigh.

– lx

Wow what a cool case.

I normally struggle with a flat top/archtop acoustics. I find them hard work to play. Could just be a string thing but this guitar plays easily. It's got 12s bronzes on but it just feels nice and easy.

Nice Corsair! I have tried electric flat wounds (a set Thomastik 10s) on an acoustic to great result. No as loud or rich as bronze, but feels lots more like playing an electric.

Wow what a cool case.

– gretschcrush

Looks a whole lot like the faux gator case that my old '56 6120 came in. Just coincidence, I would presume. Then again, with Gretsch's distribution business, they probably did sell stuff like these cases.

Oh man, let's put a couple of humbuckings on it, volume & tone pots and a Bigsby and maybe a couple of mini-switches for phase and coil splitting.., a set of Grovers... could be a real rock machine...(LOL)

Oh man, let's put a couple of humbuckings on it, volume & tone pots and a Bigsby and maybe a couple of mini-switches for phase and coil splitting.., a set of Grovers... could be a real rock machine...(LOL)

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

I'm working on it haha

Register Sign in to join the conversation