Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1958 G6122 Refurb Questions

The threaded open end shaft

By the way, that's me on the left (1966) with the same gent on these pages. Oh my goodness, those outfits.

All fun comments are welcome.

That's a big improvement with minimal effort. Nicely done. My potential source for tuners didn't pan out, so I'm glad this approach did.

First, the tuners look really nice.

Great pic. Every group's dream back then, matching "outfits"............as my mom used to say! Lol

Yep, just before bell bottoms and tie die.

Sweet guitar. I’m not a huge fan of Gents, but I’d take one of these ‘58s in a heartbeat.

Not to put a downer on the replacement tuners - those are waaaay better and more in keeping than the white ones - modern stairstep tuners are a little different to the originals as they have one less ‘step’. With those modern ones you’re 95% there, but try to keep an eye out for some originals if you can.

Good luck with the rest of the restoration. Curt or Joe (Desperado - also resident here) are both great craftsmen and have tackled far bigger jobs than this with great results.

I had the pleasure of meeting Frank and seeing this Guitar, the pictures don’t do it justice, it’s stunning. Coming your way Curt

Sweet guitar. I’m not a huge fan of Gents, but I’d take one of these ‘58s in a heartbeat.

Not to put a downer on the replacement tuners - those are waaaay better and more in keeping than the white ones - modern stairstep tuners are a little different to the originals as they have one less ‘step’. With those modern ones you’re 95% there, but try to keep an eye out for some originals if you can.

Good luck with the rest of the restoration. Curt or Joe (Desperado - also resident here) are both great craftsmen and have tackled far bigger jobs than this with great results.

– Deke Martin

Deke, you echoed my thoughts exactly on the tuners, but I wasn't capable of putting it as well as you. Original Imperial tuners have a more defined, sculpted appearance and a Gent like this deserves the best. That said, I have been quite happy with modern Imperials.

Pleasure was mine sir. Hope to see your collection soon.

I completely agree regarding the imperials but until I can locate some suitable originals these are ok. I mainly wanted to see if it would work. Thanks so much for the comments, I really do appreciate it guys.

Register Sign in to join the conversation