Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1958 G6122 Refurb Questions

I've had this 58' G6122 Country Gentleman since 1963. Bought it at a pone shop in Long Beach, CA when I was a 13. I'm not looking to sell it but I do want to get it back as close to original as possible and still retain some dollar value.

It has a home made pick guard and Grover tuners with white button knobs. I have a photo of it in 1966 with the black Gretsch logo pick guard. I've seen brochures of this with the Chet Atkins sign post pick guard and Grover Imperial step tuners. I would like some opinions for these two part replacements. Do I leave the white tuners or go with the 151G Grovers? Also, replace the pick guard with the black Gretsch logo or Atkins sign post.

I'm looking into replacing the binding. The rest of the gold parts are in very good condition and it's sounds real nice. Electronics and frets could use cleaning but all still work great.

Any suggestions will be seriously considered.

Regards, Frank

Hey Frank,

You know, we need pics! Binding is labor intensive, according to the few folks that tackle it on their own, or do it professionally. A lot of hours scraping it slowly down, and then there's the issue of matching the new binding with old finish. It can cost a grand to have it done correctly.

Get in touch with GDP member here Paul Setzer regarding the pick guard. He makes fine replacements.

You can find after market imperials out there, or something that approximates them maybe on Stewmac?

Only some ‘58 Gents originally received the Chet signpost guard. If you can provide your serial number I can advise you on what your original was so you can have a repro made.

The serial number is 27863. And thanks for your help. Also, of all the guitars I've seen so far I haven't seen the white tuning buttons. I'm gonna try to upload some pics. It's really special to me - I even have the original case.

Sorry, I'm not sure how to upload multiple pics. The upload button will only let me upload one at a time but here's one of the binding.

Beautiful Gent, just needs some TLC to get it back in shape.

From the looks of the string height, and the highly raised pole pieces, I would say that it needs a neck reset. It'll play like a dream again, and sound like one too.

New binding and a reset done right, isn't inexpensive, but it would be well worth it on this Gent.

If it were mine, I would be having Curt do what is needed.

Best of luck restoring this beauty.

The #278xx batch of Gents was 50 units, and the second production group released for this legendary model. I've documented 10 examples from this batch, and all of those display the gold pickguard with the Gretsch T-roof logo in black (no signpost). They also all posses the Imperial style tuner buttons. Here's #27858...

Can't see it in the above pic but does #27858 have the white tuner as well? What a beauty!! The string height may look high in the pic because the 6th E string was removed. It has a Gibson bridge on it now but I do have the original bridge bar and adjusters. I emailed Curt and will be sending photos to him soon. You guys have been a big help. Thanks so much.

White button Waverly tuners were used on Gretsch's entry level guitars, e.g. New Yorkers and Clippers. IIRC vintage Grover Imperials can be dis-assembled, so someone may have swapped out the regular shafts and stairstep buttons for these white ones.

What a gorgeous Guitar, perfect example to bring back to life. Please keep us updated as you move ahead

Can't see it in the above pic but does #27858 have the white tuner as well? What a beauty!! The string height may look high in the pic because the 6th E string was removed. It has a Gibson bridge on it now but I do have the original bridge bar and adjusters. I emailed Curt and will be sending photos to him soon. You guys have been a big help. Thanks so much.

– ftmarino

Great looking guitar.

Did you use my contact form or did you try via the forum? Either way I didn’t receive it.

Beautiful guitar sir,well worth restoring!

Hello Curt. I believe I contacted you through your contact form. I'm looking into what it would take to ship this guitar as I''m in Southern California. For example packing, boxing, carriers and insurance. I've never done this before and I want to do it right. I shot a few more photos yesterday and will send them if you'd like. Just let me know through which method.

Thanks for your response, Frank

Hello Frank, I checked and no trace of your message. Please try again so I can address all this via email or phone, thanks!

you’ll see a green confirmation after you press send.

https://www.oldschoolguitar...

Hello Curt. I believe I contacted you through your contact form. I'm looking into what it would take to ship this guitar as I''m in Southern California. For example packing, boxing, carriers and insurance. I've never done this before and I want to do it right. I shot a few more photos yesterday and will send them if you'd like. Just let me know through which method.

Thanks for your response, Frank

– ftmarino

I think I could probably help out with a box Frank, I'm just about 10 minutes from you, if you'd like

IIRC vintage Grover Imperials can be dis-assembled, so someone may have swapped out the regular shafts and stairstep buttons for these white ones.

That's the answer. I wouldn't have guessed that's possible, but evidently it is. It has the original Imperial tuners, which definitely would have had the stairstep buttons. I might have a line on an original set of buttons and shafts. I had a complete set that I sold to a guy who needed to replace several non-original string posts on a '59 Gent, but I think he probably still has all the buttons and tuning shafts. I sent him an email and I'll let you know if it pans out.

IIRC vintage Grover Imperials can be dis-assembled, so someone may have swapped out the regular shafts and stairstep buttons for these white ones.

That's the answer. I wouldn't have guessed that's possible, but evidently it is. It has the original Imperial tuners, which definitely would have had the stairstep buttons. I might have a line on an original set of buttons and shafts. I had a complete set that I sold to a guy who needed to replace several non-original string posts on a '59 Gent, but I think he probably still has all the buttons and tuning shafts. I sent him an email and I'll let you know if it pans out.

– Afire

Thanks Afire for your help. I'm really finding it to be a challenge locating proper pieces. Must have been impossible before the internet to locate correct parts. Sometimes I just think I'll just leave it alone.

Here's an update. I managed to get the white buttons off the tuners and found the flat sided shaft had threads inside. I bought a set of new imperial keys. The threads accepted the mounting screws that came with the new set but I had to open up the female end of the new keys to fit over the original shaft. Other than cleaning up, I didn't modify the original shaft at all.

Hope it looks more original.

Gently slid off the plastic key

Register Sign in to join the conversation