Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1958 Falcon & Penguin

Apologies if this is old news but I just heard today about this...

Two 'Holy Grail' Gretsch guitars in the David Gilmour collection up for auction at Christie's in New York on June 20th. The Falcon has an estimated sale price of $20,000 to $30,000 and the Penguin a cool $100,000 to $150,000. All proceeds go to charity. Go on....I know you wanna bid on these. I do! But I'd have to sell everything I own including my house and I'd still need a loan!

Two more beautiful vintage Gretsch guitars in the auction. The 6120 is estimated to sell at $7,000 to $9,000 and the 6121 at $6000 to $8000.

Also in the auction are a 1940 Synchromatic, a 1955 Jet Firebird, a 1957 Silver Jet and a 1963 double-cut Champagne Duo-Jet.

Not to mention several early 50s Gibsons, Fender Strats and Teles and two 1950 Fender Broadcasters.

Guitar heaven!!

Very cool. Here's a link to the auction. That Falcon has Dyna wiring with the early Filtertrons. And the Penguin looks like an early POS version - with atypical knob placement. There is also a pre-war catseye Synchromatic; they have it listed as a 400 but it's clearly not -- maybe a 160/200 and missing the cool tort binding. Are there other mistaken attributions?

Saw that... wasn't aware Gilmour had that many great Gretsch specimens. Frustrating that they didn't list the serial number for the Penguin. It looks very legit, but there are probably more fakes out there of that model than actual authentic 50s Penguins produced.

The acoustic is definitely not a 400. Nice figured maple back sides and neck - just like mine, but minus the upscale full tort binding. Having a label in the case is meaningless to me. This era had the S/N stamped into the tip of the headstock. Never heard of any sort of label in a case....it has to be on the guitar, somewhere. Belonging to Gilmour or not, IMO not worth the low end estimate of $3K. The WF and 6120, assuming all original and mint, seem estimated a tad low to me, considering they're high end models and guaranteed provenance.

Nice collection. Unfortunately my soul would probably have to be included in some of deals.

The WF and 6120, assuming all original and mint, seem estimated a tad low to me, considering they're high end models and guaranteed provenance.

A tad low? Assuming mint? They'd be a steal if that was the case. But auction house estimates are no more realistic than insurance estimates. I don't fully understand the logic behind either (and have never challenged my puzzler to puzzle it out), but auction houses unfailingly go low (maybe to stimulate optimistic initial bidding?) while insurance appraisals are always unrealistically high.

Register Sign in to join the conversation