Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1958 Country Club, the guitar built one before mine.

A lot of firsts and one notable last in 58, these guitars are extra special.

Weird notes, the only place the binding has rotted is around the body, it's 100% solid everywhere else.

It needed a neck reset which is weird with the heavy trestles and the huge block didn't make sense until I removed at and found it had a side impact.

It has stepped binding, something that was limited because I've never seen it before.

I thought I understood what caused the rot but this one proves all theories false. The glue used on this is clear not hide and not acetone. As I've said before there's never been a case where the F holes were affected, someone suggested that it was because only the "foot" was glued but there's very little glue on the step and it's a rotten there as anywhere else. Why doesn't the neck have a trace?

It's a mystery and no it's not limited to Gretsch, here's a Rickenbacker.

Nice! I'd love to see this re-build with photo's.

When I post pictures I always use a shift-enter after the text, and then insert the picture (hosted on Imgur). That way the pictures come out big on the screen, they fill up to the width of the textbox. Though I don't know if that works with images uploaded directly on the GDP.

Still makes me wonder about the body binding being in direct contact with the case fur, and being shut off from airflow...In any event, it is what it is.

Still makes me wonder about the body binding being in direct contact with the case fur, and being shut off from airflow...In any event, it is what it is.

– JazzBoxJunky

If that's the case then I got lucky because when I bought mine in 1978 they couldn't find the Gretsch case anywhere. They knew it came in with the original HSC but looked for a half hour and nothing. They offered me a newish Gibson case that I reluctantly took, maybe that's the difference.

I've seen the stepped binding before, on a pre-war Synchromatic 300 with a solid spruce top.

What's the process when step binding? Is the top bound before its attached to the body?

Less glue and material but more than that it’s easier to work with. Normally I laminate two black and white lengths that go half way around the body. Then when it’s attached to the body it’s done in 6” sections, the first section then the second on top.

With step you can do the inner all the way around and then the outer.

Register Sign in to join the conversation