Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1957 Gretsch 6121

Guitar Center in Warwick, RI has a 1957 6121 listed in their used inventory. Way out of my price range, but they are pretty rare birds.

Let's see if I can link to it:

Link

There must be a way to include a photo from that listing, but it is eluding me.

First glance, has a screw in the cutaway and wrong bridge. I think we have seen some later ones, like solidly 58, that had mortise/tenon necks, but not cutaway dowel plugs?

This ChetJet sure looks clean. My '57 Jet from the 217xx batch ('56 calendar year/'57 model year, one batch after George's) has the motise/tenon joint but no dowel. Ed will know for sure as these are his babies.

Would be nice to know the serial number on this one. Something tells me that Jets had SO many problems with neck joints, they got dowel plugs/screws and mortise/tenon joints before any other Gretsch models.

Hump block jets for sure had a mortise and tenon. I have not seen a block inlay Jet with one though. It’s easy enough to check on most jets by sliding paper under the FB ext and see what fret it stops at.

Joe, now I remember that you reset the neck on a mortise/tenon 6121, approximate serial number?

Jets were certainly the first to get mortise/tenon joints; the proto-Gents came in the 233xx batch, solidly in '57. I'm assuming that those have the 2" deep bodies and hence the mortise/tenon joint. Ed records the first heel dowel as showing up on 6120s in the 265xx with the earliest Filtertrons.

Joe, now I remember that you reset the neck on a mortise/tenon 6121, approximate serial number?

– JazzBoxJunky

I’ll be back home tomorrow John and will check the number. I posted pics of Andy’s Jet a few weeks back on page two. There are pics there of it. No dowel for most of (maybe all of ) 1957 on Jets

The dowel in the cutaway isn't that common. Here's a first batch for '57 (#216xx batch) that a few serial numbers away from one that I own.

Here's my '59 example from the #325xx batch. Also void of the dowel.

Id say the guitar went back in the early 60s and got got then. Looks like factory work--just later on and not 50's.

Do we know when the width of the Jet headstock changed? For sure 58/59 were narrow and 55/56 was still wide. How about about 57?

– JazzBoxJunky

John it is 22078

Now the Hollywood store has a 58 that looks really strange. Maybe it's normal for the pickups to be that close together for that model year.

Yes... some ‘58 6121’s have pu spacing that’s pretty close together.

Yo Ed... I'd recognize that guitar anywhere...

Part of the dynamic duo!

She is still in my stable and my absolute fave... But, Ed you told me that she was actually born in 1956. The same year as me...

Yo Ed... I'd recognize that guitar anywhere...

Part of the dynamic duo!

She is still in my stable and my absolute fave... But, Ed you told me that she was actually born in 1956. The same year as me...

– 57Chet

What a pair of beauties!!

Register Sign in to join the conversation