Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1957 6120 Case Candy query

Can anybody confirm what the case candy would have been (if any) with the 1957 6120 batches?

I am presuming the western strap would no longer be part of it but I may be incorrect also did they come with snowflake cases as standard with the option of a cowboy case upgrade?

Thanks in advance Andrew

Strap, guarantee, guarantee envelope, OK card, foil hang tag (not sure if model and price would be on it, it isn't on my '59 Gent but they were at some point), I believe they were including polishing cloths (in a clear plastic envelope) by '57, but not 100% sure. Below is what was in my Gent's case, but some of the brochures (FilterTron "Electronic Heads", Action-Flow Nut, Neo-Classic Fingerboard) wouldn't apply. Earlier on, Melitas had a flyer, but that also wouldn't apply. I think there would have been some instruction flyer explaining the electronics. There definitely were for earlier DeArmond-equipped Gretsches, so I'd presume they were still doing that in '57.

Seriously, they would give you a strap? That's cool.

Afire- Thanks, would the strap have been the jewelled western cow and cactus strap still or a different one?

Just asked Duane about this. He says there was no strap, bu he does have the Warranty in the envelope. As to the other paperwork, as in OK card and hang tags, they are long lost.

The case was white, and now lives in Cleveland at the RRHoF.

Just asked Duane about this. He says there was no strap, bu he does have the Warranty in the envelope. As to the other paperwork, as in OK card and hang tags, they are long lost.

– Deed Eddy

There it is! I was hoping Deed would chime in! Happy Friday!

@ Deed - thanks very much for the info - Andrew

– Deed Eddy

There was no strap? Duane should go back to the dealer and raise hell. The strap should have been included!

Seriously, though, the tooled straps did come with the 6120 until at least 1960ish. 1961 catalog still mentions "carved saddle leather strap," but I feel like I've rarely seen 6120s later than 1959ish that still have the cowboy strap, yet they are fairly commonly seen with earlier ones. Even after 1961, the catalogs do mention straps being included through the 1965 catalog (no longer in 1968), but I don't know whether the tooled strap continued into the 1960s, as there's no description other than "leather shoulder strap." I think they'd gotten rid of the cowboy strap by then.

Dan Duffy said that Fred Gretsch Jr. once drove across town to a music store that didn't include the strap with some poor kid's Gretsch. Needless to say, the kid got his strap!

I look forward to asking Fred about this! :)

Strap, guarantee, guarantee envelope, OK card, foil hang tag (not sure if model and price would be on it, it isn't on my '59 Gent but they were at some point), I believe they were including polishing cloths (in a clear plastic envelope) by '57, but not 100% sure. Below is what was in my Gent's case, but some of the brochures (FilterTron "Electronic Heads", Action-Flow Nut, Neo-Classic Fingerboard) wouldn't apply. Earlier on, Melitas had a flyer, but that also wouldn't apply. I think there would have been some instruction flyer explaining the electronics. There definitely were for earlier DeArmond-equipped Gretsches, so I'd presume they were still doing that in '57.

– Afire

Does your case already sport the brass gretsch badge?

No, that didn't come along until the late '60s.

Register Sign in to join the conversation