Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1956/57 6120 with block markers

Happy New Year to you all. Can anybody verify that there was a transitional 6120 around 1956/57 that had no G brand, block markers on fretboard and horseshoe on headlock ? I've seen plenty with G brands on but none without it.

57's had no G brand, but did have the horseshoe and cloud inlays.

This is the only one I've ever seen. Wondered if it was a renecked bitsa or something. Seller wants £8000

Plenty like this but not without the G brand

The non-'G'... is the neck pickup in an odd position? Usually they are closer to the neck

Only 21 frets, think I've only seen that on the early ones. Should be 22 frets by 56/57, that would explain why the front pickup spacing looks odd. Chet always wanted 22 frets on his models.

Batch #208xx was the last full batch of 6120 with G-brands... but the hump-block markers were introduced in the second half of that batch. You'll find a couple stray G-brands in the next group (#216xx), but the majority were G-brandless, and all have humps. I've documented a couple from the #220xx batch, but they may have been renecks. Here's one at #22002. It has a heel dowel so it's suspect.

Keith Scott has one,he used it for the Everything I do video.

No G-brand, block markers, horseshoe headstock.

Yes I saw this prototype in your book Ed but didn't include it as it's not orange. I'd happily pay 8k for this.

Batch #208xx was the last full batch of 6120 with G-brands... but the hump-block markers were introduced in the second half of that batch. You'll find a couple stray G-brands in the next group (#216xx), but the majority were G-brandless, and all have humps. I've documented a couple from the #220xx batch, but they may have been renecks. Here's one at #22002. It has a heel dowel so it's suspect.

– kc_eddie_b

The guitar Andrew is inquiring about is the very same, 22002, neck dowel and all. So, I'd agree with you and think reneck is the answer.

Notice anything else out of the ordinary on this close-up of the headstock?

'57 renecked with an unused '56 nail-hole neck sometime during the heel dowel era? But that still doesn't explain the 21 frets. The other nail-hole necks had 22 frets as far as I can tell.

I occurred to me that it might be possible to rework a Rancher neck and retrofit it to 6120

Rancher has a 25.5" scale while 6120 is 24.6".

Register Sign in to join the conversation