Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1956 Catalog — C&W Jamboree Part 2 (Geek Alert)

No Affiliation With Seller.

I did see an earlier sighting of this but that seller didn't post spreads of all the pages and it seemed to be just a reduction of the 1955 Catalog for Moderns, designed as an insert into the Country & Western Jamboree magazine.

But this has something new.

On page 3 we see a new model: The Clipper, X6186 sunburst and X6187 "in two-tone desert beige and Shadow metallic grey." IIRC this would be the first sighting of this model as it didn't appear in any regular catalog.

This is the early, full body version with a thin headstock (like some New Yorkers of the era). Unlike the Corvette this has a "slimmer body for comfort" (2.75" as opposed to 3 5/16") The scale length on the later cutaway versions is 24.6"; it may be that these still have the 25" scale like the Corvettes. Also pictured is the "full" shaped truss rod cover while the other photo-illustrations feature the bullet shaped truss rod covers.

All the versions of the X6187 I've encountered are Lotus Ivory -- no desert beige -- and what was called IIRC Platinum Grey which usually fades to what I call metallic moss green. Not mentioned is the blonde full-body version the X6188 of which I've seen only one. Oddly -- and totally Gretsch -- I've seen a blonde '58 cutaway version of the Clipper marked as an X6187 with factory special-order hump-block markers on an unbound rosewood board.

There were two versions of the Guitars for Moderns catalog. Each offered in magazines. This is obviously the later example.

There was never a model 6188 natural Clipper. There was a natural Corvette model 6183, and there was a natural model 6188, but it was the non-cutaway version of the Electro II model.

I did see the 6188 a few years ago on reverbay, took note and wrote the serial # down with a brief description. And I can't find the %$#@ piece of paper anywhere. What I saw was this: blonde, stinger, white-button Waverlys, full body 2.75", G tailpiece, single Dyna, rosewood board with dots top and side, and a label with only 6188 as the model #, not the dual stamp of the 6187-8. Can't remember the pickguard. The serial # corresponded to the '56 first generation Clippers. Hopefully it will turn up again, either the paper or the guitar.

I did see the 6188 a few years ago on reverbay, took note and wrote the serial # down with a brief description. And I can't find the %$#@ piece of paper anywhere. What I saw was this: blonde, stinger, white-button Waverlys, full body 2.75", G tailpiece, single Dyna, rosewood board with dots top and side, and a label with only 6188 as the model #, not the dual stamp of the 6187-8. Can't remember the pickguard. The serial # corresponded to the '56 first generation Clippers. Hopefully it will turn up again, either the paper or the guitar.

– lx

Cool... be sure to let us know if you find the details!

Register Sign in to join the conversation