Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Help with serial number

Hello all!

I just bought a Tennessean that was a bit modified (tuners, pick guard and the f-holes were gone). But still a beauty with wonderful "play feeling"! I´m curious about the date of the guitar, and tried to figure it out here on these pages but with out success... The serial is 72292 (on the edge of the head). The dealer thought it was a -61. Any ideas?

Pic of the guitar.

That's a sequential serial number that correlates to the 1965 model year. Enjoy!

What is going on with that pickguard ?

What is going on with that pickguard ?

– Ric12string

It looks like a piece of old counter top! Not a big deal to get the F-holes painted on again and a period correct pickguard.

I actually really like the look of that model without the f-holes. I'd also ditch the pickguard altogether, but for those who like having a guard, a nice silver Tenny guard would look great.

Thanks for input guys. Not to concerned about the originality, i see it as a "playing" guitarKind of liking the pickguard as is! When plugged in i found the output a bit low (compared to my 2001 country gentlemen). Possible to raise the pickups? Would this help?

Thanks for input guys. Not to concerned about the originality, i see it as a "playing" guitarKind of liking the pickguard as is! When plugged in i found the output a bit low (compared to my 2001 country gentlemen). Possible to raise the pickups? Would this help?

– yoakam

It is the nature of the HiLo'tron pickups, yoakam. They have less output compared to your other guitars.

Register Sign in to join the conversation