Vintage Gretsch Guitars

1955 Silver Jet

Really nice... but of course she's a '54 example. The wedge-style pickguard and plain-topped control knobs are clues... but the missing first fret block marker is the indicator that this is from very early in the '54 model year.

Billy Zoom has stated that the Melita never used Bakelite. It was always plastic.

I think Billy was commenting on the saddles. Look closely at this Jet, as Ralf has accurately identified this Melita as having the black (non-metal) body... yet another indication of the early vintage of this Silver Jet.

I KNEW that was produced right after my script SJ! Blowing up the picture of the back, the serial is clearly visible: 13014.

Other notable features include the BLACK, not brown (like later Jets), headstock overlay, like my scripty has, and the "'54 spacing" of the bridge pickup, moved toward the center just a bit. Looks just like mine.

Same pickup riser material, too!

What do ya'll think about the asking price?

Ooooh, Very nice! Riz, price doesn't seem very strange for the European market. Do you think so?

Ooooh, Very nice! Riz, price doesn't seem very strange for the European market. Do you think so?

– Danman

– Danman

No, I don't think so really. That's what the dealers all seem to ask. Just wondering if it will actually fetch that. I guess I'm wondering what MINE is really worth!:D

Yeah, I have no idea what they really fetch. They'll often be for sale quite some time and then the right person comes along. For some reason they never call me to tell me what they actually payed......8-)

This Silver Jet was in the Fretted Americana inventory awhile back. It has pots with Aug '53 and Oct. '53 dates. I owned Duo Jet #13032 at one point, and it's still the earliest Jet I've documented with the first fret block marker.

Register Sign in to join the conversation